• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centerpin for newbie

Don't be put off the TFG classic because of the price, it's a quality bit of kit and every bit as good as the Okumas at 3 times the price. The earlier TFG/ Cortessi models were not that good, the classic's only problem is that it's too cheap for the tackle tarts.
Tried my son's one yesterday and was astonished how much lighter it felt on the rod than the Sheffield I was using, it fished nicely and I hooked a fish first cast.
I'll be buying one soon.

Don't be put off the TFG classic because of the price, it's a quality bit of kit and every bit as good as the Okumas at 3 times the price. The earlier TFG/ Cortessi models were not that good, the classic's only problem is that it's too cheap for the tackle tarts.
Tried my son's one yesterday and was astonished how much lighter it felt on the rod than the Sheffield I was using, it fished nicely and I hooked a fish first cast.
I'll be buying one soon.
Cannot really buy a TFG pin or eney other gear as don't like the chap who"s brand it is!

Cannot really buy a TFG pin or eney other gear as don't like the chap who"s brand it is![/QUOTE

I didn't like a bloke at Vauxhall but I still purchased my new car from them as it was what I wanted at a price I could afford, if you purchased a TFG it more than likely will come from Fishtec. Mine did

Hi Johnathan

I have a Greys Bewick for sale in very good nick (only used a couple of times).

Make me a reasonable offer if your interested.

Keith

Just got my 1st pin off ebay"

okuma Aventa used with just little dink on backplate!

should be ok to start my hopefull love of centre pin fishing :)

Just another question for you guys"

is there a right and wrong way how to put line on centre pin?

and line or braid ?

There are no rights or wrongs, just preferences. Many will suggest that you don't put too much of whatever line you choose on the reel.

Just got my 1st pin off ebay"

okuma Aventa used with just little dink on backplate!

should be ok to start my hopefull love of centre pin fishing :)

That was a fair price. I hope you enjoy it, if you pardon the pun, stick with it and you'll hopefully get a lot of pleasure from it.

and line or braid ?

It is personal preference, but I prefer the line coming off the top for float fishing and off the bottom for ledgering. I have found no more than 60 yards best as it tends to bed in after the line has been stretched. For float fishing I have found Preston reflo power line to be good.

Dave

and line or braid ?

As has been said, there are no rights or wrongs.

Line to come off top or bottom - your choice - bottom for me.

Make sure you tie line on securely, some centrepins have very smooth "drums" onto which the line lays.

I use backing, mono wound tight to start, then double grinner to braid (and trap ends in sleeving). 50yds backing and 100yds braid for me - some say just 25yds total but that doesnt give much leeway if a big fish goes on a mission (in snag-free water) or if you need to cut any off if damaged.

All covered in article in detail :)

As has been said, there are no rights or wrongs.

Line to come off top or bottom - your choice - bottom for me.

Make sure you tie line on securely, some centrepins have very smooth "drums" onto which the line lays.

I use backing, mono wound tight to start, then double grinner to braid (and trap ends in sleeving). 50yds backing and 100yds braid for me - some say just 25yds total but that doesnt give much leeway if a big fish goes on a mission (in snag-free water) or if you need to cut any off if damaged.

All covered in article in detail :)

So....when are you going to pen an article with the title "Laptops, and how to use them, for total morons" Paul ? :D:D:D

Back