• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Changes to Rod License

Be interesting to see if they increase the price of a game licence seeing as you can only use one rod game fishing. They struggle to justify the extra cost as it is!

Happy to sit it out behind two carp rods Graham, but on a river one is all I take. The lighter the kit I need to carry, the more likely I am to roam further along the banks.
Mike.

There`s been no increase in the current two rod licence for several years so expect to pay £30 for a two rod licence and £45-50 for a 3 rod.
so those of us who only fish one rod will be paying for the three rod via the £3 increase.

I've just read the small print on my EA newsletter and seen the license changes for April 1st. It's not a joke is it? You chaps who fish one rod are being royally ripped off! An 11% increase in one go! Worse still, the 60%...that's correct, a SIXTY PERCENT increased charge for the cost of a one-day licence!!! So much for encouraging people to participate.

Now if I want to take my octogenarian dad fishing, it's £6 plus a day ticket. I'm fortunate to be in a position to pay that, but many people won't be. I think it's appalling.

I've just read the small print on my EA newsletter and seen the license changes for April 1st. It's not a joke is it? You chaps who fish one rod are being royally ripped off! An 11% increase in one go! Worse still, the 60%...that's correct, a SIXTY PERCENT increased charge for the cost of a one-day licence!!! So much for encouraging people to participate.

Now if I want to take my octogenarian dad fishing, it's £6 plus a day ticket. I'm fortunate to be in a position to pay that, but many people won't be. I think it's appalling.

What makes it worse is that it was the trust that was involved with the EA in deciding this.

Don't see the problem with 3 rods on certain rivers. I have used 4 before on a remote stretch and a friend joined me so I was confident.

Each to their own, everyone fishes how they want as far as I am concerned, I have only ever hooked 2 fish at the same time which is considering the years I have fished with 2 rods or more a rare happening and not one that I would worry about happening again.

Haven't they increased the free age from 12 to 16 as well. If that's the case I'm ok with paying a bit more for what is essentially a very cheap liecence. The up take of our sport by youngsters is very poor and without them the sport dies. Whilst taking your dad may cost a few quid more taking your kid is free. Swings and roundabouts.

Haven't they increased the free age from 12 to 16 as well. If that's the case I'm ok with paying a bit more for what is essentially a very cheap liecence. The up take of our sport by youngsters is very poor and without them the sport dies. Whilst taking your dad may cost a few quid more taking your kid is free. Swings and roundabouts.

Agreed Stephen, got to think of the future.

Plus your clique buddy fishes with two rods.

:eek:

Double hook-ups have never been a problem for me Jeff, it's happened on a few occasions now, with no detriment to any barbel involved. Most barbel anglers can say the same.

That said, I don't catch a double a trip, or even two, like some, so I usually can only dream about such things, Jeff.

There are plenty of youngsters on the commie circuit Stephen, I still fish them with my club, and there's no shortage. Some of them are bloody good too.

Sadly, it's rare to see a young angler, ie/ less than 16yrs on the river, which really is a shame. Being able to catch 100lb in a few hours on a commie is to blame.

Double hook-ups have never been a problem for me Jeff, it's happened on a few occasions now, with no detriment to any barbel involved. Most barbel anglers can say the same.

That said, I don't catch a double a trip, or even two, like some, so I usually can only dream about such things, Jeff.

I've no problem with multiple rods kid your boy Neil does

I honestly dont remember saying that about one rod...!

I sometimes fish two on big rivers. Thames and Severn.
Not the Wye as chances of double hookup can be high.

Back