• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Claimed 20lb plus barbel in the angler's mail.

Ah , it will be'' one dot '' , well known fish , clearly on it;s way out though , remember the 23lb 12oz fish that was reported on BFW a few years ago . I reckon it's the same fish :) ;)

Ssshhhh!

Hugo

It's not from the Pinn , if you read the Anglers mail headline [ see picture ] you will see that this monstrous fish is a'' chunk '' , a species not present in the Pinn or the Piddle . It does look like a barbel though . Could be a sub species ''Barbus Chunkus maximus '' ? There is a sub species of Barbel in Yorkshires River Nidd '' Barbus Nutterus '' and also the well known Teme fish- Barbus Tigeris'' . Isn't nature a mystery , we know so little ....

Sorry Hugo didnt realise that you were still wetting a line on that section....

John,

We have so many named barbel above the weight of the accepted record that they are not worthy of mention. The Democracy Fishery has no barbel weighing less than 21lbs.

What we are seeking is a BURBOT bigger than 30lbs and a seahorse of one pound.

We can but dream..........

As ever

Hugo

Fish size is very difficult to judge on a photo but no matter how far in front the angler holds his fish the best guide is the captors hands in comparison to body depth, head size etc. That cannot be altered. A good comparison is to look on the River Arrow thread where there is a picture of Mick Harris holding a 9.10 fish. It is a very clear photo and Mick is holding the fish in a similar way to the Anglers Mail angler. And the Mail fish is apparently over twice the size of the Arrow fish...:)

Hugo i have seen with my own eyes BURBOT to a very good size!!

I saw a pretty huge barebot when my good lady got up this morning....I am pretty sure it would weigh a lot more than 30lb.

On the other hand, if she ever reads this, it weighs but a fraction of 30lb :p

Cheers, Dave.

I saw a pretty huge barebot when my good lady got up this morning....I am pretty sure it would weigh a lot more than 30lb.

Cheers, Dave.

If your good lady ever saw this David, the lump on the side of your head would weigh more than 30lb:D

Cheers, Dave.

This thread is now going in the right direction! I nearly wet myself when I read this....BRILLIANT Dave..:)

Back