• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Closed Season Controversy

I pay for 12 months fishing.

Dave,

You may pay for 12 months fishing on stillwaters and canals, but I very much doubt that you pay for 12 months fishing on rivers. Virtually all club leases/licences are for the 9 month season (or less where salmon fishing rights prevail). Consequently, if the close season were abolished you would most likely see an increase in rents to reflect annual leases.

Dave

well i for one enjoy a 3 month lay off because i like vegetation re-growing in trampled bankside areas, take any lake and they have barren patches all round the lakes edges, i enjoy the cover vegetation brings and after spring all the green bushes and low tree branches getting a chance to recover, one last point is its good for the fish to get respite and rest from continually getting pressured when i reach the banks after the lay off i feel a warm glow inside and at one with my surroundings

How many rivers are we talking about here, 3 or 4 (ok slight exaggeration) ? The only rivers that have any real numbers of anglers on them are the ones with a reasonable head of barbel in them, and the number of those rivers has declined dramatically over the last 10 years and continues to decline. I was in favour of moving it on a month, but now I think abolishing it would be in the best interests of both anglers and fish. Clubs can then opt to maintain some form of variable closed season, based on annual actual spawning times.
Nick

I for one , are all for scrapping the close season on Rivers. There is no convincing argument for keeping it , most Rivers have seen a huge decline in Anglers on the bank , with many rivers now overgrown all year round. It would be a big boost for Angling clubs and tackle shops .

Greg, I wonder where they got that photo from? That's 'fishing from hell' in my book!!!

Looks like what they call "combat fishing" in the states and Canada, more anglers on that stretch than can be found on 5 miles of most English rivers.

No scientific studies were done before the closed season was abolished on still waters, I am hoping that this study that has been done on rivers results in the abolition of it on rivers.

Hi men

Its a load of old tosh , had the same discussion when the canal in my area opened up . Fish still spawn , birds still nest , its not efected it at all. In fact a vocal local angler who was very upset when it happened has totally changed his mind , and said to me that his eyes dont lie , and im sure the patten would almost replicate on rivers . And dont give me June 16th , its rose colored glasses stuff that a couple of generations of anglers fishing lakes and canals have never known .

Hatter

d6cecd33-6150-44dd-9021-4747dbd121cd.jpg

GET VOTING ON THE CLOSED SEASON!
Over the past year I have been working very closely with representatives from the Environment Agency and the Angling Trust on the subject of the 1878 river closed season law.
I have been a part of an independent review group charged with examining the evidence, for and against, on this contentious issue.
The group, which includes all shades of anglers opinion and highly experienced fisheries scientists, has finalised its study and now wants to know the views of all coarse licence holders.
My own views are well known but I would urge every river angler to read through at least a summary of the evidence paper when it's available and to participate in the consultation when you are invited to do so.
From a personal viewpoint, I would like to see the river close season abolished. This would bring it into line with stillwaters, which were opened all year 23 years ago, and canals, which were opened up all year 18 years ago.
I’m not sure on the exact date when the voting will start but I think it will be in March or April so look out for it.
Please spread the word and get everyone voting as this will be your only chance to get the river closed seaso_nChanged.

2c8f0865-68b0-4629-baee-3a672fb49e67.jpg

Email: info@daveharrellangling.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DaveHarrellAngling

Two things. First, if we are to hold ourselves up as the saviours of the countryside and all things riverine, as many of the conservation minded angling groups and organisations do, can we really scrap the close season? The presence of anglers on a year round basis, has to have an effect on the wildlife, both flora and fauna, and can hardly be seen as contributing to the conservation of our precious environment.

Second, are we all that self absorbed with catching fish that we have to do it all year round? If you want to fish 365 days a year, you can go sea fishing or trout fish to fill the close season gap. Why do you have to continue chasing your precious coarse fish, which are likely to become more pressured and difficult to catch as a result?

Personally, I go fishing as much for being out in the countryside and enjoy seeing the wildlife in all its forms, as I do for catching fish. Even blanks are enjoyable when you have enjoyed the sight of soaring buzzards, the blue and orange flash of a kingfisher or even the company of a hungry robin on a cold winter's day....

Dave

The trouble with the closed season debate is the fact , hard facts are being ignored. Pointless looking on with memories of yesterday when all was good . There is no evidence what so ever to suggest wildlife and flora need a break , many Rivers don't see the numbers of Anglers as in the past . And given the serious predation problems faced by ALL Rivers , surely a break of 3 months only helps predators thrive without disturbance. Mr Tarka knows where to be when fish spawn , particularly for Barbel and then just picks them off when they are most vulnerable . Anglers don't see the damage until after the event and then wonder why the Barbel numbers are declining. Of course there are other factors such as pollution , which is discharged even more when the season closes , as no one is there to see..This happens every year on a River local to me , with high levels of algae bloom and slabs of pollution foam coming down the River. Coincidently the algae bloom and slabs of pollution foam actually stop around the middle / end of june......There are 2 water treatment plants situated on this stretch of River and i have personally witnessed the higher than normal slabs of pollution foam coming out these water treatment works , when the closed season starts and again witnessed it decrease around middle / end of June..

The rivers already have had a break. The last two months,and even before Christmas,the conditions have been atrocious,especially for barbel. Only the people who live close to decent rivers,the ones with actual fish in them,have been able to capitalise on brief fishable spells. The hardcore few who can fish full time,the ones who stare back at us from the angling press,they're very much the minority,most anglers don't have endless opportunities. Also what about summer floods,most can't fish then too.

Is the call to do away for the river close season for purely selfish reason? ...... Every other sport has a start and end of season . So why should fishing on rivers be any different .

Back