• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Coated braid ?

Joe, answer 1, is yes much easier to tie and get through the hookeye if stripped,
2nd is in darksness the fish are following a scent or flavour trail and are not very likely to spot the line in darkness mate.

Agreed. Just make sure there are no carrots in your loose feed.....:D:D:D

My original question was ..... Will stripping the coating back make any difference when tying the hook ? People have suggested the bait acts more natural if the coating is stripped back a couple of inches when tying the hook ?

Assuming some one is fishing at night in darkness . Would a Barbel be able to see what looks natural and what not looks natural in the dark ?

....it's a matter of not feeling stripped back braid Joe, not seeing it. I don't think any line can be seen in the depths, at night, by a barbel ...but stripped back braid would feel more natural (weed-like?) than say mono, fluoro, or coated braid. IMHO

Hi men,

Striping back a bit will help the hook move around / drop into the lips of the fish . Someone once wrote "barbel have anti-eject mouths " , i think that true , its the way they feed .

Best coated braid iv found by miles is the Gardner Ultra , lovely stuff , good colours . A couple of years ago in france i was using it reversed with the stiffer coating exiting the hook and the softer section nearer the lead . This allowed the rig to settle nice around the choddy pads i was fishing too , but the hook swivelled and turned into the carps mouth , worked .

Hatter

For me, and to answer Joe's question; the inner core of coated braid is particularly soft and supple and the general idea is not that it makes the bait behave more naturally but that a barbel will feel less resistance with an initial contact with the bait.

Tying a hook with unstripped coated braid isn't recommended as the coating wears off easily and the knot may become lose. That in itself might make very little difference, but why take a chance?

Tying a hook with unstripped coated braid isn't recommended as the coating wears off easily and the knot may become lose. That in itself might make very little difference, but why take a chance?

We each do what we do, there are no rights or wrongs! :)

I've used coated braid for about 10 years (or more probably), Sufix Chameleon. I only fish for barbel these days.

I never strip the coating back, preferring the stiffness to remain, and tie knots with coating intact (except after completion I strip the coating just from the hair). I've never had a knot come loose, either at the hook (knotless knot) or the swivel (twice through the eye, 5 turn grinner).

But never say never, I'll be doubly careful tonight Richard :)

Ditto everything Paul has said, except i don't strip my hair ( cos i haven't got much :p ) i use Suffix coated braids too, never experienced any kind of problem.

We each do what we do, there are no rights or wrongs! :)

I've used coated braid for about 10 years (or more probably), Sufix Chameleon. I only fish for barbel these days.

I never strip the coating back, preferring the stiffness to remain, and tie knots with coating intact (except after completion I strip the coating just from the hair). I've never had a knot come loose, either at the hook (knotless knot) or the swivel (twice through the eye, 5 turn grinner).

But never say never, I'll be doubly careful tonight Richard :)

:) Well I stand corrected, and happily so.

Yes, I use Sufix also, as well as Kryston - whichever comes to hand.

Back