• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cockapoo: Fishing friend or foe

Howard Cooke

Mrs C has decided it's time we got a dog and for various reasons has decided on a Cockapoo. I had no idea such a breed existed and for a while we were talking at cross purposes. Thankfully she wasn't making reference to films about special man love.

Anyway, does anyone know if these dogs make decent fishing companions or are they likely to be a pain in the backside on the river bank?

And Happy New Year everyone!

After many years of labs and retrievers, Mrs H-R decided that our next dog was to be a smaller dog that didn't shed hair.

Our cockapoo is a bitch 18 months old. First fishing trip I spent much of the time fishing her out of the canal as she kept falling in due to her inability to sit still. We've now graduated to quieter river sections where she has the space. She's stopped falling in but does wander off every time she sees a pheasant/rabbit/rat etc. she still wants to chase and play with anything that moves.

Not as easy on the riverbank as the labs/retrievers were but getting better.

An ex had one that just would not sit still! I reckon an army of those could be used as flood prevention though as it was like a Hoover when it came close to water.

I've recently acquired a ****zpoo or whatever it's called & was thinking the same :)

Just a footnote - cockapoos don't see it as a fishing trip, more a picnic. Ours doesn't think twice about tucking into boilies/spam/sweetcorn as soon as my back's turned!

Is this not some shrewd plan on your part Howard to use the new cock a whatsit to break the ice when a Kelly Brooks lookalike is walking her lapdog along the bank ?

As a Spaniel owner I can say that if you want a Spaniel to be a fishing companion, you might want to have a rethink H. They are bred as the SAS of the dog world, to put up game, so by nature they are up for it, and would see the River bank as Nirvana.
I also have a Lab, and they would be a better choice, most are very laid bask, witness Blind Dogs etc, will be extremely patient and a good one will land your catch:)
But I am sure there are many other types that would do the job, I know Sue and Mark took their Jack Russell everywhere, so food for thought.

My wife and i have had a number of breeds. One of best dogs we had was a rescue dog which was a border collie and he was very loyal and intelligent. We have a cross between a lhaso apso and a hairless chinese crested powder puff now and he is a great dog for us as he doesn't require long walks and is great with my son who is autistic and sometimes quite aggressive. I would love to take him fishing but unfortunately the waters i fish do not allow dogs :(

Dave

Hi men,

Waters that allow dogs , now there is a subject on its own :(

Hatter

What makes me mad is that dog walkers who walk there dogs along some of the stretches i fish don't clean up after there dogs and get away with it. Yet the majority of us anglers would always clean up after our dog if we could bring them! :mad: And we would have the common sense to keep them tied up next to us if livestock were nearby!

Dave

Thanks for the replies chaps and it seems my worst fears have been confirmed. The dog isn't been acquired as a fishing companion, but I was secretly hoping he could join me on the river every now and again. And Dave T is right, there is always a chance of Kelly jogging along the Kennet & Avon Canal, so a cute dog by my side should increase my chances from 8/10 to 10/10.

I have a working cocker spaniel and they love the birds. Bloody nightmare around the river with ducks ect had to go in more than once to fish him out.

We have 3 collies and a working cocker (wocker) I suspect the spaniel would be in to retrieve any fish hooked as soon as it hit the surface...they are the bonkers but hilarious breed of the dog world. In comparison the collies seem serious and studious...that said neither breed is ideal for a fishing companion...Howard what you need is a Bernese as that could also carry all your gear and double up as a windbreak/shelter :D

I wouldn't take our's fishing but brilliant dogs. He keeps my wife busy and company whilst I slope off though. They are the dog of choice around here along with Hungarian Vislers.

We have two Cockers, one pure working and a working/show cross, have to agree with all the comments about not taking them fishing. They are bred to flush out game, so that nice piece of cover next to the river (just where you've been baiting up for the last few weeks) has to contain something to flush out, doesn't it?

We have two Cockers, one pure working and a working/show cross, have to agree with all the comments about not taking them fishing. They are bred to flush out game, so that nice piece of cover next to the river (just where you've been baiting up for the last few weeks) has to contain something to flush out, doesn't it?

Spot on Gary, another trait is both mine dislike going out in the garden, if it's raining, or might, but think nothing of diving into a flooded Severn :)

Back