• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Diawa ss2600

They have a strong following that's for sure, these reels were absent from the UK for a couple of decades, and were reintroduced a few years back, the drag is smooth so hence the appeal.

They are a bit 'blingy' for me but so is the better IMO Penn Range which also have a super smooth and better clutch and compare in price.

I do think the Daiwa has a wobble though, seems a inherent 'feature' :rolleyes:

There are plenty of better reels on the market, the ones I use are on old rods from yester year they are more in keeping with, I get more enjoyment using them than I do my modern reels which I'll be the first to admit are far better.

Spools and drag done of Garry at custom reels,fantastic job.my penn reels will be getting done next,no more gold spools and handles lol:D

I saw these in the states years ago. I sometimes think Daiwa upgraded and moved all the old Tournament reels over the pond?

Is it just me but these reels have a very obvious wobble on the rotor, that's why I sold mine. I appreciate they have a following as do old Capri's, is it just sentiment or am I missing something?:confused:

You're not missing anything IMO mate. Yes they ALL wobble. Drag is super smooth, but, if you intend using as a BR will require too many 'turns' to get back to 'normal'. The simple removal of the cap spring destroys the fine adjustment, and I found it difficult to obtain the right 'feel good' drag setting. On top of this the anti-reverse is clearly an issue, both of mine failed with little use. Even an a lure reel they aren't great. The handle needs the rotate backwards slightly before 'lock' is reached and the drag can kick in - modern lure reals don't do this (although I've not tested them all)

If they weren't gold I doubt the interest would be anything near what it is. Magpies springs to mind, and I too fell for it:eek:

I moved mine on, you're all welcome to them :)

I don't understand the cult following with ss2600. I've had 2 one of which was completely customised by Gary at custom reels. The work made it a lot smoother but they still feel almost agricultural, but for the money there are other reels I would have.

I don't understand the cult following with ss2600. I've had 2 one of which was completely customised by Gary at custom reels. The work made it a lot smoother but they still feel almost agricultural, but for the money there are other reels I would have.

In comparison for the money what would they be?

In comparison for the money what would they be?

For me the best heavy duty smooth clutch has to be the Penn's live liners, they are good and robust reels a bit heavy and you can't backwind, but to be fair you don't need to with that clutch.

c.£80 - £90

Back