• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Didn't think this through.....

Dan , just do what me and my mates did when we went night fishing as youngsters : bike torch , extra pair of socks , school gaberdine,wooly balaclava , bottle of ribena and cheese and marmite sandwiches we just sat it out on our wicker baskets . Never did us any harm , and minimal extra weight ,All transported on push bikes . Sorted :D

I must admit, I did just think of reeling in and snoozing in my chair...... then again I was about 13 when I last did that and my back has just about settled again now!

I found a Polish army shelter on fleabay made out of 2 ponchos and a single pole to make a small teepee..... Not sure how fiddly it would be to erect at midnight in a dark field though. The hooped bivi is looking the most promising so far, I had another look at the area I'll be fishing and the only really half decent trees that can accommodate a hammock are overhanging the river....... can't see that ending well :eek: !

Great idea John, I just found some of the Dutch bivi bags but they're rather pricey...... 12 nuggets sounds a bit better! I'll do a bit of googling around this evening and see what's about.
I always used to take them hexy stoves to the festivals, they could do the job for fishing, especially in the winter! There's that great little surplus store in Bedford I can explore.
But now thinking about it I work on a US base..... I'll see what I our colonial cousins have to offer!

You're sorted then Dan ! See what you can pick up in one of their garage sales ! i used to do the housing maintenance at Upper Heyford when it was still operational, we used to get all sorts of stuff off the lads who were being shipped home, still got several pairs of trousers and thermals, couple of poncho's, sleeping bags , ECWS goretex etc etc, all for peanuts :) They have an awesome looking pop up bivvy bag thing, maybe worth an ask ;)

Last edited:
Them there EBNS do look the bees knees, and would be perfect. The price though! I'll keep my eyes open for one around here at a more sensible price...... I just asked one of my American colleagues if there's anyone on base that might have one, his response was that I don't have any sasquatch to worry about so no need to bother. Bless them.

I don't know where you got those images from Ian, but that second image, the one with the single pole, would be your worst nightmare if it rained. Not only would the rain hack in through the open front, but the groundsheet is larger than the tent. That would mean that the water running down the makeshift tent would pool onto the groundsheet, so in ten minutes flat you would be sleeping in a pond :rolleyes:

And you thought YOU hadn't 'thought it through' Dan :D

Cheers, Dave.

Quite right David, I was just hoping the image would help illustrate the idea rather than trying to explain with words. You can get this sort of arrangement to be water tight you just need to point the entrance away from the wind

Reminds me of a trip myself and a mate took when I was about 15, at about 7pm on a summer night we decided to go fishing, to the river Swale,which at that time was about 60 miles from where we were .Crazy idea, but at 15 we didnt think, just packed a small tent, rods, and a bit of camping gear, and set off, managed to get quite a long way into the journey by bus before all services finished for the night, we knew "roughly" where we were, and set off walking, it got dark, no street lighting in rural Yorkshire,just fields, trees and bushes, no signposts, and suddenley a thick mist descended on us, it got cold, with drops of water forming on our clothes and rucksacks. Getting cold, and late, so we decided that we should camp until morning, so finding a field we put up the tent and now out out of the mist,warmer and dry, fell asleep.

We woke up the next morning to find that we had camped on a roundabout, about 2 miles from the river.

Dave

Back