• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Different baits for bigger fish?

Craig Wood

Hi to everyone
After reading with great interest peoples views on baits i would like to see what everyone on here thinks regarding a different bait will catch bigger fish..Personally im not too sure if it makes a difference but it would be interesting what everyone else thinks..
Regards craig..

A quarter of a large tin of Spam, on it's day, picks out the bigger fish.

A quarter of a large tin of Spam, on it's day, picks out the bigger fish.

Interesting you say that Fred, I'm sure that Trent fish you photographed for me was caught on a couple of T7 sooty pellets. If I remember rightly not only was it the biggest fish from the fishery that day it was also the biggest caught that year.

Also I have it on good authority that most of the big fish from Adams Mill were caught on tiny hooks and baits, a couple of 4mm pellets on a 12 or even a 14 accounting for plenty of 15Lb+ fish.

While I don't doubt that on it's day a lump of meat will sort out the bigger fish smaller baits also account for a large percentage of the bigger fish caught.

Hi to everyone
After reading with great interest peoples views on baits i would like to see what everyone on here thinks regarding a different bait will catch bigger fish..Personally im not too sure if it makes a difference but it would be interesting what everyone else thinks..
Regards craig..

A quality HNV bait Craig.
A big fish needs more nutrition than a small fish - simple.
It can achieve the intake of nutrition it needs by eating a lot of food of average nutrional content, or by eating smaller amounts of food containing a higher level of nutrition.
There must be some kind of feel good factor involved, whereby it comes to recognise that by eating this higher nutritional bait, it has a feeling of well being over a period of time, that it has achieved with less effort, and less energy expended.

I also believe that on a one off session on a water that hasn't seen any HNV bait then a piece of spicey meat is just as good, and is just as likley to find that big fish as any other.
Or as fred advises a huge piece that only the biggest fish will get it's gob round :D

Interesting you say that Fred, I'm sure that Trent fish you photographed for me was caught on a couple of T7 sooty pellets. If I remember rightly not only was it the biggest fish from the fishery that day it was also the biggest caught that year.

Also I have it on good authority that most of the big fish from Adams Mill were caught on tiny hooks and baits, a couple of 4mm pellets on a 12 or even a 14 accounting for plenty of 15Lb+ fish.

While I don't doubt that on it's day a lump of meat will sort out the bigger fish smaller baits also account for a large percentage of the bigger fish caught.

Simple reason for this, as Adams mill got more and more angling pressure, subsiquently more and more bait piled in the one constant was the loose fed pellet size remained at around 6-8mm so it becomes quite logical that this size would be the size that barbel see as a 'natural food source'.

Same thing applies to carp fishing where 12-15mm boilies are piled in on a water, the fish accept that size as 'natural'.

But in answer to your question Craig, big baits doesn't mean big fish, yes you can avoid really small fish by using baits to big too fit in their mouths BUT this doesn't automatically mean a big fish will take, maybe on many occasions it'd just mean you go biteless.

On most rivers I tend to fish for barbel these days; Cherwell, Windrush, Thames and Wey.
The few resident barbel literally never see anglers baits and as such have no pre-conception as to what a natural looking pellet may or may not be.

Barbel are in many respects very similar to chub, in that I wouldn't expect a 4lb chub to consistently take a lump of paste on a size 4 hook on a low river in the middle of summer but on a flooded river I might.

Because the barbel I fish for are not used to anglers, I'm offered greater opportunity to just choose baits that suit conditions, which obviously boosts the chances of takes....
Floods, 21mm halibut pellets, 15-18mm glugged boilies.
Low water, maggots, worms or small bits of luncheon meat.

I use mainly small baits, sometimes two pellets glued back to back................. they work for me.

The biggest boillie i use is about 14-16mm and even then i shave them down a bit.

That all means nothing as i don't catch big fish:):):)

Im finding this topic very interesting..When i fished the severn i had a few doubles the biggest going 14lb 8oz..I caught the vast majority on readymade shelflife boilies 10mm..I also had some on catfish baits real "big"..Ive also tryed cutting a can of meat into 4 pieces and fishing with donkey chokers and believe it or not barbel of 6lbs still had no trouble taking them..This season ile be fishing the dorset stour and hamps avon which dont have the same numbers of barbel compared to the severn..Does anyone think that perhaps where there are less barbel that they become more selective?and not so competative?...

I think im trying to find out if bigger barbel have more preference for a different bait?..Ive also caught lots of barbel using various baits but im interested to know if your targeting bigger barbel is it better to use a different bait or flavour than say one that catches average barbel?

Steady Adrian,you never know who's watching, and can add two and two ;)

You are of course right,on that day. But, I have also caught the occasional bigger fish on T7 elips.
But on the right day, i've caught numbers of the bigger fish on big Spam when the smaller ones came to the pellet.

Simple reason for this, as Adams mill got more and more angling pressure, subsiquently more and more bait piled in the one constant was the loose fed pellet size remained at around 6-8mm so it becomes quite logical that this size would be the size that barbel see as a 'natural food source'.

I knew that, :)I also know that 'the big meat' as it's known was a very reliable bait back in the day when we had big matches on the Severn and the Trent and it was common practice to lob the leftover bait into the margins at the end of the match.

In the pre pellet era when everyone was fishing hemp and caster, bronze maggot or meat over hemp, the fish were used to cruising the margins and finding large lumps of meat when it went quiet after the weigh in and a big lump freelined down the edge would often find a big fish.

I used to love turning up at around 3pm for the weigh in and find out where the fish were shoaled up and it was common to bag a fish or two while the match lads were putting their kit away.

Unfortunately those matches are gone and most people are now fishing pellet or boilies. As a consequence, in some places where a large lump of meat is rarely used it's not even recognised as a food source, in others it's viewed with suspicion or even spooks the fish, it's not known as, 'the pink barbel scarer', for nothing. Granted it can get you bites when the river is high and coloured but if it's big fish you want rather than numbers of fish then the way you apply your bait is more important than what you use.;)

It's also worth remembering the old mantra that you can only catch what's in front of you.

Back