• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EA Flood Defence Team Plans for Substantial Dredging of River Loddon

Wrong? As a not exactly unable flyfisher of, hey, 52 years experience now, I found to my consternation from the late 1990s onwards that a good number of the newly arrived river-mending evangelists I was encountering were little more than rather sniffy, eager to please on occasion, just as eager to character-assassinate at others, politically ideologically driven, nasties. But, hey, that's just my experience.........

Paul, Its got to be said you are completely right.
Whilst Britain was riding high on its credit bubble the environment was at the fore of every party's pre-election spiel.

The credit bubble now burst, and seemingly the environment is a expense that is top of the must cost cut list....

Simple economics really, I guess the eco system is a extravagance we can take or leave, dictated solely on financial grounds:eek:?

Reply to the D.H. post above:

I'll have you know that I once won the member-voted Master Poster of the Year award (sense and helpfulness, not numbers of posts) on that forum in its early years in the early '00s, receiving no less a cardboard-tubed bottle of best Glen Deveron Scotch as a Christmas-time prize (I still have the tube, it holds flydressing feathers and is just five feet away from me), then unaccountably I found myself being routinely "dumped on" by certain people, some known, some unknown to me, then, as far I could establish, banned (if no longer being able to log in means banned) after very eloquently and effectively taking on the then unmoderated "knockers". They did all the online rude-boy stuff, not me, yet it was yours truly who went - bad for business, not one of us, or summat............

Last edited:
Paul, you're suggesting quality rather quantity then, yer?

Me, I offer mainly the LATTER, as I'm sure you'd agree..... Well assuming you ain't got me on ignore default setting, have you.....

Have you??

Clearly you have never heard me or read me when I'm in flyfishing and flytying mode, Colin - at times, it rocks!

Wrong? As a not exactly unable flyfisher of, hey, 52 years experience now, I found to my consternation from the late 1990s onwards that a good number of the newly arrived river-mending evangelists I was encountering were little more than rather sniffy, eager to please on occasion, just as eager to character-assassinate at others, politically ideologically driven, nasties. But, hey, that's just my experience.........
Can I assume from this, that my personal experiences of now being able to fish such places as Assynt, without being related to the Vesty family, thanks to the good works of the Assynt Crofters Trust or many rivers and streams in Wales, formally only accessible to the likes of me by poaching, thanks the the Wye and Usk foundation means that I too am a "politically ideologically driven". If so, then great and more power to the elbow of "politically ideologically driven, nasties" if they enable access to places formally only open to those who went to the right schools.

It was ever such Paul really, wasn't it? At least since the enclosures of the late 18th century. However these days I find more ex match anglers and the like, casting the fly on small rivers and lochs than ever before. For myself, I only started to discover the joys of fly fishing on little deserted Scottish lochs now assessable to any one with a sturdy set of walking boots and a couple of quid to the local trust...but formerly "preserved" for the visiting elites (but "poached" by the likes of me).
I share a distrust of those angling politicos who spout on the media at every opportunity, but do have some respect for some of those involved in organisation like the River Trusts and the Wild Trout Trust who seem to have concentrated on practical steps to improve smaller rivers and open up fishing opportunities. I also had a lot of time for the old ACA, before its self inflicted problems led to its downfall and incorporation into this Angling Trust thing.
Of course Fiona Armstrong, Lady MacGregor of MacGregor, is a fine example of all things angling.

Last edited:
MacGregor also annoyingly for me has cornered the market in Scottish "arty" landscape postcards. I have done a few in my time and get constantly asked "make it look more like a MacGreogor".
It really annoys me that a rich landed aristocrat, who is also a talented photographer and fine fisherman by all accounts also gets a fine piece of totty like Fiona...I blame my parents.

Last edited:
it got a mention in CAT, well done my crook, it stopped them nasty EA types butching the cover, for now.

Back