• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Elips pellet - preferred stockists

Hi men,

Neil , I know there not made for fishing , very few baits and products are !. I mean that if people get the idea that they are , then the amount that are used by us is so small from a financial point of view means that we ain't high on their priorities .

Hatter

Hinders have a vast stock of Elips pellets for this season,
The cost has increased due to raw materials but still cost effective.
There has been terrible rumours that the Elips pellets will cease to continue
but this is NOT true. There has been gossip spread by a certain people/ company, I will not name names but this is untrue. They monitor and evaluate each season but there is no reason why the rolls royce of bait will not continue. If in doubt contact hinders direct.

Ben,

Stop fibbing.....you know you only use Mainline boilies...............

Funny that Richard, a certain angler known to both of us who goes by the name "Teabag" believes that a barbel can only be caught on meat....

If the elips pellet is soon to disappear maybe i should get ahead of the game and combine all these suggestions and come up with elips pellet shaped, mainline bagged, grubber pellet dusted, aldi tuna oil soaked pieces of meat! :D

If the elips pellet is soon to disappear maybe i should get ahead of the game and combine all these suggestions and come up with elips pellet shaped, mainline bagged, grubber pellet dusted, aldi tuna oil soaked pieces of meat! :D

Ben,

I'm been on the above for the last two seasons....keep up will ya...???

P.S Give Teabag Dave my love when you see him......

The initial reason elliptical pellets were manufactured was that having a large surface area to volume they dried quicker and thus less heat was required in their manufacture. This made them cheaper to make. Despite this they were never very popular with fish farmers because they flutter through the water rather than fall straight and this meant they were harder for the fish to intercept and more fell through the cages and went to waste.

I don't know what proportion that are made now go for fishing bait but once the producers have the tooling for their production I doubt they will stop production whilst there's a market, though I bet they charge a premium despite the lower production costs.

It sounds like a self-perpetuating myth. If any of the sellers/stockists read this thread the prices will be hiked for sure. Best to go for the pellet bucket half full, surely? :)

The initial reason elliptical pellets were manufactured was that having a large surface area to volume they dried quicker and thus less heat was required in their manufacture. This made them cheaper to make. Despite this they were never very popular with fish farmers because they flutter through the water rather than fall straight and this meant they were harder for the fish to intercept and more fell through the cages and went to waste.

I don't know what proportion that are made now go for fishing bait but once the producers have the tooling for their production I doubt they will stop production whilst there's a market, though I bet they charge a premium despite the lower production costs.

Interesting, I pretty much had it from the horses mouth, that the original idea with the flatter design and fluttering effect through the water, meant less waste as the caged fish had longer to intercept them?

Maybe in reality it didn’t work that way?

Of the 3 different types of pellet available to me today on the river, (left overs from the season) the fish went mad for the good old "E"lips! In several swims they moved noticeably more for them - than the others. Maybe because of the oils and the water temp at present combined?? (13 degrees). Only the roach seemed interested in the Hemp!:confused:

Firms stop stocking lines that have not enough demand to make enough profit.
There are plenty baits to use that will out perform ellips
Albert

It is very true there are lots of options out there and they all work for different reasons on different days, we all have choice. ;) Have now posted yesterday to the Blog page..:)

I actually enjoyed my barbel fishing more in the days before the pellet revolution. Back then in order to catch a few you had to work at it and have a few basic skills but as soon as pellets became the 'go to' bait any fool with a kilo or two of them could catch from pretty well anywhere.

I actually enjoyed my barbel fishing more in the days before the pellet revolution. Back then in order to catch a few you had to work at it and have a few basic skills but as soon as pellets became the 'go to' bait any fool with a kilo or two of them could catch from pretty well anywhere.

Adrian,

How come you keep blanking on the Lower 7ern then...............?

Adrian,

How come you keep blanking on the Lower 7ern then...............?

In a nutshell mate I've got old fat and bored with barbel, half the time I'm there I'm kipped out in the back of Mytinbivy as you well know. The rest of the time I'm drinking tea or up the pub.
Now give me a proper challenge like a Devonian tench and I can catch with the best of them.
Except for when I'm down the Maltings watching someone who should know better make a fool of himself and going home in a seperate taxi to his lovely wife.:D

Back