• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Environment Agency Licence Check

Have You Had Your EA Licence Checked

• Yes,in the last 12 months

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Yes,in the last 2 years

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • Yes,in the last 5 years

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • No,I have never been asked for my EA licence

Votes: 58 43.9%

• Total voters
Difficult to know what's worse,... someone fishing a free stretch without a license who is catch and returning, or another who has a license but is taking 15 barbel home, ... legally.
That law is plainly antiquated and needs changing.

https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules/fish-size-and-catch-limits

I'd say the latter was potentially more damaging.[/
QUOTE]

Its worrying that despite the PR rhetoric that in the area where I live (Staffordshire, Warwickshire and West Midlands area report )

Just 2.3% of 130 reports were attended as reports are classed as category 3 and as such do not require them to attend. ( EA figures)

Its things such as this that make me think that if my licence doesn't get checked it was wasted as imo the only reason for having one is as insurance against prosecution.

At 2-3% response I would therefore have no second thoughts about removing any 'long lines' illegally set, the thought the EA would be monitoring such activities would probably be fanciful, I guess you could replace the hooks or nets with rocks or similar.
I understand the 'front line' troops of the EA have been depleted with all these cut backs, but £20m has been found to count Shad on the Severn, so we understand the priorities at least.

Wow, I'm pretty impressed that 63% so far have been asked in the last 5 years. That's several times higher than I would have expected (I dunno, I might have guessed 12-15 %, ie about 3% of anglers in any given season) and does reassure me that they're doing a fair-ish job, on licence checking at least. The fact that I've never been checked is presumably not least because I have very little access to anywhere that's heavily fished. I'd like to be checked, but then if an inflatable came up the Nidd or the Wharfe and spoilt my fishing at the golden hour of twilight I might have a choice few words.

Admin note :

1. I/we can add options to the poll but it would not make sense since 78 have already voted.

2. I/we cannot clear poll results

3. I/we can lock the poll, but which still allows posts in the thread

4. I/we cannot add a new poll within the same thread

5. I/we could add a new poll in a new thread but lock the new thread and ask for posts to be placed in the original thread

6. I/we could add a new poll in a new thread and start it all again

OR we could do nowt :)

If you didn't purchase a rod license, would you be able to fish comfortably? Every voice and noise could be that one time you got caught. Then imagine the Sympathy that would be indulged from the BFW members. Anyway purchased mine 3 months ago. Always remember the 5P's.

Agreed, Jon - not having a licence would ruin the day for me, in terms of the potential penalty. Notwithstanding my conscience, of course. :)

used to be checked every other week by the river board in the 60's.
Since then only been checked by club bailiff who checks club card and licence every time on some venues.

Twice. First time was the first year I started fishing, early 90s, second time was pike fishing last year, where the EA guy took exception to the fact that I had a third rod made up (but was NOT fishing with) and was very rude and abrupt with me, which resulted in me complaining to the EA. ...and starting a thread about it on here to make sure I wasn't in the wrong.

I've also only been asked for club tickets twice, and neither time were the club bailiffs interested in seeing my rod licence.

I had mine checked on the Lower Severn about three years ago by a couple of EA Bailiffs in a small inflatable. Good way to cover large sections of river, although i doubt they saw many anglers down there!

Never seen an EA/NRW bailiff in my 35 years of fishing....!!!! They'll probably be like buses now.....!

But I religiously buy my licence every year and will continue to do so while I'm still upright.

Back