• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeder rod recommendations

Howard Cooke

Hi chaps-thoughts on a big river feeder rod, mainly for chub but more than capable of dealing with a barbel?

Many thanks.

Use a preston competition pro" 13ft line 6-10 pounds"

really good rod that's got a nice bend in tip when fishing feeders 80-120 gram!
helps see those drop backs and knocks! and really can feel the barbel when fighting! Top rod this!

Any of the Daiwa 11/13's really, I have an original Whisker Kevlar version & a Connoisseur, both brilliant feeder rods, the Whisker would stop a tank I reckon...you can also get hollow tops for them to give a bit more Oomph if required.......

I think it would depend a lot on whether you intend to fish maggot caster etc on lightish line or boilies pellets etc on heavier tackle and the size feeder you will be using.

John Wilson Barbel Avon rod it does it all

I would say that I would not go for 1.5 1.75 2 test curve rods if you wont for feeder chub and normal barbel fishing! just takes a lot of fun out the fishing in my opinion! get a strong match tipe heavy feeder rod and have fun :D

Thanks chaps. The general intended use would be with a maggot feeder and principally for chub/silvers during autumn/winter and in non flood conditions. Cast may need to be quite far and a degree of sensitivity in the tip would be good. I was imagining reel line of around 6lb or so. Of course, barbel could well show up from time to time!

Sounds like a tricky one to me then, getting the balance between a rod that can cast a reasonable weight and distance yet remain sensitive enough for bite indication. Yet still have the power to hit a fast bites at range. All this with a need to be able to use small hooks and light hook links if required. I brought a Drennan 7 Series Avon 1.25 for the Thames and it works fine with the exception of striking at fast bites as I guess a faster taper is required. Might be worth asking on one of the Facebook Chub Fishing Groups.

Hi Howard
As per normal on these threads we all, for obvious reasons, tend to recommend our own rods,... so I'll follow suit.
I use two different feeder rods on occasions for chub or roach, but both would handle a lunk if required.
The Greys Prodigy twin tip ( 1.75) with the alternate 1.5 top section and 3 tips is more than capable of chucking a big feeder across the Wye for instance.
For more finesse, ( if you can lay yer hands on one) ,.. the Northwestern Rodcraft 11ft feeder is a thing of beauty,.. ultra light but with enough backbone lower down to handle a big barbel, but wonderfully sensitive for roach.
Tight lines;)

Preston Innovations (Korum) have produced a range of top class feeder rods for well over a decade now - their website would be the first place I would look Howard.

I use a 13ft Preston Carbonactive built on a Asaki blank which is a brilliant chub rod and more than capable of dealing with the old barbel, I have also used the 12' 6" Preston Carbonactive Sentient Feeder which was equally as good, but slightly different as it uses conventional push-in tips. Both rods can cast out 3oz feeders and handle reel lines between 7-8lb, and I've used short hooklengths down to 3lb comfortably on a dink-dink rig.
I favour a 13ft rod for chub as I find it helps stop chub from diving into the bank when trying to land them. I bought mine after reading glowing reviews by both Graham Marsden and Gary Knowles - both of whom know a thing or two about catching big chub.

The Sentient range was replaced with the Absolute range I believe - well worth a look. In fact they are on sale here for very decent price: http://www.fishfriend.co.uk/preston-innovations-absolute-126-feeder-carba02

New rods I agree with Jon and the Shakespeare rods are hard to beat and a steal at the price. Second hand I would go for a team Normark 13ft multi tip - superb rods if you can find one.

This is why I love BFW. Thanks for the suggestions chaps and there are rods there I wouldn't have considered but look absolutely ideal. Thanks again.

Drennan avon/quiver tip for me covers my chub fishing, Avon top 1.5tc and 3 quivertips on the lighter side of the fishing.

Hi Howard,Harrison Torrix 1.25lb,Mark Tunley builds them now Bob has retired,it's a lovely rod and you can have 2 tops,one quiver and the other plan "Avon"type will fit all drennan quiver tips,looks great on the brown blank

Joe

iv still got the original 13 ft preston Asaki feeder rod whot iv had around 15 years ago! From bagging big 10-20ib earlswood carp on method feeder and chub and barbel all over the severn! this rod is still as good as ever! :cool:

Back