• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fish care Antiseptic kits

Yes mate,

I've used the stuff on a Mirror that I've got in my tank. Cut himself somehow, got some of the gear on it and it cleared it right up! Cleared up quickly too.

Sorry I should have said any scientific evidence, any studies been done? glad your Carp recovered ok though.

Seen plenty of evidence on here of anglers using Friar's Balsam on external injuries to fish which certainly seem to make the difference, not to be used for internally though

Koi keeping community strongly recommend friars balsam for treating injuries. Has worked on my fish and cheap as chips from the chemist.

Also clove oil in water for anaesthetic. Great stuff, but easy to overdose by a couple of drops and cause unexpected euthanasia. Maybe a homemade bath soak is in order for the Mother-in-law's birthday......

Kevin,

I'm sorry but I think it is every anglers duty to carry one of these in the interests of fish welfare and promoting a positive image of anglers to the general public,

Paul

As the only evidence I know of was paid for by the manufactures of this stuff and in my experience when it comes to the general public they have not got past the worm on one end and a fool on the other image of us happy band Ill save my money mate.

The other end of this debate is we have messed about with our own health popping antibiotics for any minor illnesses until we have bred super bugs. Don't we learn as a race !

NO!
Where is the science that says Bongela and the like are safe to use on fish. It is idiotic to assume that if it works on you then it must work on a cold blooded fish and not cause it any harm.

I'm a little confused by the comments of Mr Smart and Mr Daly. Would the gentlemen like to expand on why they think displaying a positive attitude to fish welfare and carrying an unhooking mat is an odd thing to do. Both are compulsory in the club I belong to and I would like to see other clubs follow suit.

Paul

I unhook in the water bud, weigh in the net, and don't have the fish out of the water at all unless I need a photo for a PB or near or ID purposes. One of the syndicates I belong to has a similar extremely stupid rule. I have a self inflating sleep mat that stays rolled up in the bottom of my bag to get round that one.

PS to satisfy the purist I wrote Korda on it in indelible felt tip

Last edited:
Back