• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

fishing around Highley

Trevor Summerfield

Senior Member & Supporter
Staying at river and steam lodge in july, I gather they have 1/4 mile fishing. A friend of mine recently deceased stayed at Burts, he fished down stream a bit where there were trees which gave both fish and angler cover. Is this bit on Burts ticket? Also who has the bit downstrem of River and steam. my Past barbel fishing has been on the Upper Ouse, a hard river but I caught a few doubles. Basicly I intend to find my preferrred swims and put a few boilies in and fish a few hours in late afternoon and evening. Not after great numbers of fish, just a few decent sized ones. So who runs the fishing up and downstream of River and Steam.?

For £40 BAA ticket is amazing value for money. You'll have loads of fishing around the Highley/Bridgnorth area. They also have a good website too, look at the 'Where to Fish' section.

Staying at river and steam lodge in july, I gather they have 1/4 mile fishing. A friend of mine recently deceased stayed at Burts, he fished down stream a bit where there were trees which gave both fish and angler cover. Is this bit on Burts ticket? Also who has the bit downstrem of River and steam. my Past barbel fishing has been on the Upper Ouse, a hard river but I caught a few doubles. Basicly I intend to find my preferrred swims and put a few boilies in and fish a few hours in late afternoon and evening. Not after great numbers of fish, just a few decent sized ones. So who runs the fishing up and downstream of River and Steam.?
Because berts is really the only day ticket water that way it does get very busy, many bivvy up in the nice beachy swims upstream, think these are the ones you mentioned about having nice cover,some even leave their gear in the swims when they go to the pub 🤬 depends on how long you're staying really, baa as already stated is exceptional value,dont have to drive very far to get to more quiet venues, as with larger fish berts does throw up a few occasionally, ive had 3 doubles, but over about 10 years lol,sure you will enjoy yourself anyway 👍im up there for 4 nights second week,cant wait😉

Hi Trevor ,
Get yourself a B.A.A club card you’ve got Stanley downstream of Highley which is a great stretch also kinlet a bit further downstream i Bailiff them both and they throw up plenty of barbel , if you message me nearer the time I’ll let you know how it’s fishing ok 👍

Hi Trevor ,
Get yourself a B.A.A club card you’ve got Stanley downstream of Highley which is a great stretch also kinlet a bit further downstream i Bailiff them both and they throw up plenty of barbel , if you message me nearer the time I’ll let you know how it’s fishing ok 👍
Thank you Paul,down strem looks interesting. A buch of lads from here in Kent have been doing trips to Birts, one of them did mention you. His name was Paul, sadly C got him in January. Still doing research for my trip. My Barbel catches have all come from fishing next to tree overhangs and/or margins. From what I have swwn a lot of anglers fill a feeder wit pellet, pellet on the hook and keep chucking it in Not my way of doing it. .n Near bank deeper runs are another favourite of mine. Will be in touch. Trevor

Back