• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float fishing for barbel

Hi Paul,Keith's Barbel float fishing over the last few years was in an area that had very few snags and no trees,yes the far bank had rushes but there were no major snags.If you have few snags then you can get away with lighter gear.He did tell me that 7.9 Preston powerline straight through was what he hoped to get them on but often had to go lighter.I had a lot of barbel last year on the float and would say 7.9 preston straight through is a good line for float fishing.Though i landed big fish accidently on 3lb preston line whilst fishing for roach

Trouble with straight through is you never know where it might break. I use loop to loop or loop over a micro swivel link or eye to attach a hook link to the main line. I was initially dubious about loop to loop but its an unbelieveably strong connection and I have had barbel to double figures using this system (and also carp to 25lb on a 3lb hooklink where there were no snags - including one of 22lb on a pole!). Any line breakage should then be hook link only. Be sensible. Normally I use 6.12 Reflo but in one snaggy swim I use 9lb Reflo. On the Wye I might step it up again to 11 Reflo. So think about size of fish, strength of current, snags etc. No point getting more bites on fine lines if they snap you - but Reflo power is fine for its breaking strain

Hi Hugh
Yes, for all my sins I have fished the Wey since the 70,s and still find it to be an enigma. Not sure what stretches you fish, but the 10lb bs line ref. was aimed primarily at the Avon.
I often use 6 lb mainline on the Wey with a 4 to 5 lb hook link if the swim allows as thick runnuculas seems to be a thing of the past on the river.
Even though the stretches I fish hold barbel to 15 lbs and some hefty carp, I feel fairly confident of a result on the open runs, but will step up on the tree lined beats. :D

Thank you for that. I want to go as sensible light as possible so maybe 8 main and 5 or 6 hook will be a good start. Now to find the time to give it a go!

I think the thing to think about is the pace of the flow, if it's faster you will get away with much stronger gear as the fish don't get much chance to sus it out.
Was interesting, fished a swim yesterday wich was shallow and fast, I could watch the fish taking the bait! Some of them turned and chased the bait downstream then took it.

I think the thing to think about is the pace of the flow, if it's faster you will get away with much stronger gear as the fish don't get much chance to sus it out.
Was interesting, fished a swim yesterday wich was shallow and fast, I could watch the fish taking the bait! Some of them turned and chased the bait downstream then took it.

Jeeez Karl, I wish my eyes were still that good. Agree about the flow bit though.

Cheers, Dave.

Back