• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Homepage Monster!

I agree Russell, it IS the fish of a lifetime, it IS huge, the lad did really well to catch it, and he deserves great credit for doing so..nobody is questioning that, OK? The question is, why not hold it in a sensible manner, which would clearly show it to be the massive fish it is? To hold it in the manner he has makes the fish look ludicrously big...it ruins the shot and causes controversy because everyone can see it is artificially enlarged by the silly 'at arms length' pose. Do you not see that point? It already IS a glorious fish...it didn't need that stupid pose to make it look bigger, we can SEE it's a fabulous fish. All that pose does is instantly beg the question...WHY???

It's like Katie prices boobs...they were fine as they were. To have them artificially enhanced to such a ludicrous size with silicone implants has made her a figure of fun...nobody actually believes they are hers, so what the hell is the point? Does saying that make me a 'mizzog' too? Or is 'Mizzog' the new age word replacing the old word 'reality'?

Had the lad NOT held that fish in the arms length pose, there would have not been one question raised, not one comment made, not one word of sarcasm. All there would have been would be the natural, well earned congratulations on catching such a stunning fish. End of.

Gawd, I give up. Head on brick wall and all that.

Cheers, Dave.

Don't give up David ! He's only a young un . At least he isn't gazing balefully at the fishes head like so many of the carp pictures you see in the angling press . I have never understand why anglers adopt this pose , usually without a smile . For some reason those type of pictures do annoy me . Why can't they just look at the camera and smile like the young lad with his monster Barbel ?

Well said Mike such stupid looks they adopt:eek:

Well said Mike such stupid looks they adopt:eek:

John, sadly I don't have to adopt a stupid look....I look that way naturally, whichever way I face, so I have a valid excuse :D

Mike, as far as my criticism of the lads stance with this picture....I readily admit that I have done exactly the same thing myself, on a number of occasions. I have then looked at the resulting photos with embarassed horror, so I KNOW how daft it looks :p. All I am trying to do is point out that this is NOT the way to go when taking fish shots...it's very popular...but also very rubbish :D

Cheers, Dave.

Fair enough Dave .I think the lads smile is the best bit about the photo , says it all , utter jubilation . Such a contrast to the I'v just caught a 50 lb Carp , but look as if I have just lost a grand and found ten bob baleful gaze .

David you fish for Barbel now, you have mended your ways:)

Top fish that, a PB to match his age, I bet theirs many folk on here that wouldn't mind that. At that age most are on street corners or xbox's so hats off to been out their doing it on the bank in the depths of winter

Katie Price a figure of fun? She can bring her surgically enhanced form to my house for a spot of bedroom Olympics anytime,mind you it's been a while!!Only stipulation she doesn't speak.

I've just updated the homepage so here's the photo relevant to this thread:

54bd1f1f6f038.jpg

Thats a good point Ash i agree with you Matey.

Back