• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook removal

Haydn Clarke

Senior Member & Supporter
Some time about two and half years ago I managed to bury a size 8 barbed hook in my thumb. Like the big girl's blouse that I am I had to go to Bedford A&E, to have it removed. What followed was a few hours of friday night "entertainment", sitting with all the dregs - **** heads, winos, druggies, chavs and all the usual loosers that seem to congregate on most A&Es up and down the country on a friday night.

I learnt a few things that night, one of which was how much our NHS funding is being drained by alchohol and drugs, and secondly, not to use barbed hooks when learning to Wallace cast in a tight swim in the dark. If only I had seen this video first, I could have avoided being an NHS burden myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7eYpwATKgc

That was good captain Joe!

Haydn

Last edited:
Noooooooooo:eek:

My mate Paddy got a Size 6 barbed Continental boilie hook buried deep in his palm. He wandered up to me, presented me with a set of pliers and said 'get this out'. I said 'are you sure' and then did the neccessary. No tears - what a man!
I wonder why he hasn't spoke to me since.

Cheers
Bob

Reminds me of the time i hooked my boat partner just below the lip whilst fuff chucking at bewl water, used the same method and hey presto hook slipped right out, he didnt even wince! I think the key is to get it out asap before the flesh starts closing around the hook.:)

Some time about two and half years ago I managed to bury a size 8 barbed hook in my thumb. Like the big girl's blouse that I am I had to go to Bedford A&E, to have it removed. What followed was a few hours of friday night "entertainment", sitting with all the dregs - **** heads, winos, druggies, chavs and all the usual loosers that seem to congregate on most A&Es up and down the country on a friday night.

I learnt a few things that night, one of which was how much our NHS funding is being drained by alchohol and drugs, and secondly, not to use barbed hooks when learning to Wallace cast in a tight swim in the dark. If only I had seen this video first, I could have avoided being an NHS burden myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7eYpwATKgc

That was good captain Joe!

Haydn

I should also add, in my defense, that the hook was buried well past the barb into the harder tissue that surrounds the first knuckle on the very same thumb that a couple of years previously I had managed to fire a brad from my nail gun right down the length of . So yes, I'm still a blouse, but then so would others be too, given the circumstances.

Haydn

I had never stuck a hook in myself in nearly 60 years of fishing....until last year. Then I managed to stick a barbed No.6 into my thumb up to the bend on one trip...then the very next trip a similar hook went through my finger and out the other side :rolleyes:

On the first occasion, there was no-one about, so I gripped it with forceps and yanked it out...not nice :eek:

On the second occasion, two other anglers tried to help. The situation was that the large eye of the hook was on one side of my finger, while the point and barb were through and sticking out of the other :eek:

After mutch effort with pliers, trying to cut the barb and point off, we had to give that idea up. Once again I was left with no alternative but to grip the hook with locked forceps and rip it out. Now that was really, really, REALLY not nice :D

The ironic thing was that both impalements were caused by upper double carp flipping violently as I was trying to remove the hook from them...the fish fight back :p They say it is always the little ones that fight the hardest :D

You would have thought that after the first accident, I would have made SURE to use my forceps to unhook the fish the next time :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
I was fishing at Roger Daltry's Lakedown a few years ago when my mate came up to me with a fly in his hand well past the barb. I employed a similar technique, a loop of mono around the bend of the hook which I told him to hold while I pushed down on the hook. I then told him to pull the loop when he was ready, and much surprise to both of us it popped out very easily.

I had never stuck a hook in myself in nearly 60 years of fishing....until last year. Then I managed to stick a barbed No.6 into my thumb up to the bend on one trip...then the very next trip a similar hook went through my finger and out the other side :rolleyes:

On the first occasion, there was no-one about, so I gripped it with forceps and yanked it out...not nice :eek:

On the second occasion, two other anglers tried to help. The situation was that the large eye of the hook was on one side of my finger, while the point and barb were through and sticking out of the other :eek:

After mutch effort with pliers, trying to cut the barb and point off, we had to give that idea up. Once again I was left with no alternative but to grip the hook with locked forceps and rip it out. Now that was reall, reall, REALLY not nice :D

Cheers, Dave.
i know how a fish must feel now, done that 3 years ago, ouch!!:eek:

One day, when I get 3 million slides digitalized, I'll show you the picture of a lovely American guy who came down to Tierra del Fuego to fish with a friend I was staying and fishing with. He had not flyfished before, and what a place to start - in a land of frequent howling gales.

Anyway, the guy reappeared at the farmhouse at lunchtime, came into the kitchen where me and another guy, just back from the river ourselves, were drinking coffee. Our newbie had a VAST single-hook fly stuck very fetchingly in his cheek.

"She-hit" went my fishing companion. "When did that happen?"

"About twenty minutes after I started fishing - say nine-thirty."

It was now one o'clock.

"Better get this out, huh?" he said. "Someone get a photo of this thing, to show my wife back home, then bring me a humungous Manhattan, then let's do it."

His pal, our mutual friend, reappeared with two half-pint Manhattans, one for the wounded and one for himself, then, ten minutes later, had the hook out a loop of 30lb Maxima. No blood, no face-marking gash, just a dab of good old British TCP from my first-aid kit, a smear of Savlon, then a tiny plaster.

He was out fishing the evening-into-dark session five hours later.

One day, when I get 3 million slides digitalized, I'll show you the picture of a lovely American guy who came down to Tierra del Fuego to fish with a friend I was staying and fishing with. He had not flyfished before, and what a place to start - in a land of frequent gales.

Anyway, the guy reappeared the farmhouse at lunchtime, came into the kitchen where me and another guy, just back from the river ourselves, were drinking coffee. Our newbie had a VAST single-hook fly stuck very fetchingly in his cheek.

"She-hit" went my fishing companion. "When did that happen?"

"About twenty minutes after I started fishing - say nine-thirty."

It was now one o'clock.

"Better get this thing out, huh?" he said. "Someone get a photo of it, to show my wife back home, then bring me a humungous Manhattan, then let's do it."

His pal, our mutual friend, reappeared with two half-pint Manhattans, one for the wounded and one for himself, then, ten minutes later, had the hook out a loop of 30lb Maxima. No blood, no face-marking gash, just a dab of good old British TCP from my first-aid kit, a smear of Savlon, then a tiny plaster.

He was out fishing the evening-into-dark session five hours later.

If I knew what I know now I would never have bothered going to get it whipped out at the hospital, one reason being the company of all the wasters I mentioned in the first post, secondly, the injections(four no less) in my thumb to kill the pain were probably far more painful than just yanking it out cold. I was almost packing up when it happened and I go past the hospital on the way back from the river and thought it'd be easier to just pop in and get them to sort it. Bedford A&E absolutely insisted I have a tetnus and a 7 day course of antibiotics too. All seemed a triffle over the top to me, but when I'm told by doctors I usually obay.

Haydn

Last edited:
I remember fishing Clatworthy reservoir one fine spring day. One hapless angler had managed to stick a fly in the white of his eye! He went to A&E, got it removed then returned to continue his day on the water. What a top bloke.

I'm a clumsy sod and have experienced my fair share of self-hookings, I even hooked the current Mrs Burr once :rolleyes: I've always found the hardest hooks to remove are the little ones with a size 18 micro barb being an absolute bitch to remove :eek:

Caught a nice big common in the dark, unhooked it, but the forceps lost their grip when putting the rig down to one side safely.

The 2oz lead brought the hook down pretty firmly into my thumb which then swung about off my hand as I tried to get the fish safe.

Went a bit pale for a while apparently..

The worst self hooking i ever had was again at bewl water fluff chucking, it was snowing hard, it was april 1st! and i managed to cast a tandem lure on a lead line straight into my own backside! both hooks in past the barb and through 3 layers of clothing! Once my friend had stopped his hysterical laughing we managed to extract the hooks with much pulling and tugging, it was extremely sore!:D

Back