• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hooklength Material

Justin Towns

I'm sure I'm not the first person on here to ask this. I hear and read so many conflicting statements. What works best? Braid, Flourocarbon or Plain Mono?

There is not a simple answer to this, all work differently at various times, I have used the lot, but thinking about it Mono would be better and cheaper than all else.

I've been using a combi rig this season which has performed well so far.It's about 3' of fast sinking 20lbs fluorocarbon tied to 2'' of 15lbs sinkbraid.The theory is that the flouro sinks well,hugs the bottom and is difficult to see and the last 2''of braid give the rig suppleness near the hook.
Bear in mind I'm mainly fishing the middle trent,not a small southern river so have beefed up the terminal tackle accordingly.
I tie up loads of hook lengths at home and use a quick release swivel with a figure of eight loop so if I lose a rig in a snag it's a quick and simple job to replace it.
All the hooklength materials that have been mentioned by the OP have their place in different situations,it depends what type of venues you are fishing,the above is my choice for the particular conditions I am faced with.

Having only recently started using braid as a hooklength, whilst I've had a mixture of failure and success (at about the same rate as with mono), I've yet to be totally convinced. Need to give it a while longer before I make a decision in that regard.

However, I would personally advise against fluoro if the river you'll be fishing is clear. I've seen first hand fish get totally spooked and completely disapper when they feel it, precisely because they can't see it, whilst they weren't tremendously bothered about my mono and braid that they could see. There's a vid on YouTube showing this, and Bob Roberts has done some quite in-depth testing as well.

Above all, though, I would echo what Robert said - confidence in your tackle and bait is a big chunk of it.

justin, if your riverbed is of the hard flinty type then ignore braid as its cuts too easiy on the flint, in this type of riverbed try a coated braid with just a couple on inches outer skin peeled back before the hook or stick with an xt mono (xt =usually means extra tough), this should give you enough options without going into technical stuff:)

After 3 of us barbel anglers that regularly fish together (2-3 times a week) switching between fluoro (IQ2), un-coated braid ( Sinkbraid) and coated braid (N Trap/ Fox Camotex) - we have come to the conclusion that for us, (River Loddon) it seems that the coated braid is giving us the best results. More fish being caught on these lines, less tangles, less lost fish. better hookholds.

Of course it may all be coincidence......

Thanks for the advice. I've used all 3 and can't see if one scores over the other. Years ago it was 6lb Maxima straight through to a size 14 with 3 maggots on the hook and this worked a treat for the middle Severn for fish in the 4-6lb class but average sizes are up.

Very similar rig to mine. 20lb sunline fc sniper fluorocarbon to a combi of Gardner trickster 20lb braid. Plus a size 8 teflon rapier(bit of a Carlsberg hook this one).

I've been using a combi rig this season which has performed well so far.It's about 3' of fast sinking 20lbs fluorocarbon tied to 2'' of 15lbs sinkbraid.The theory is that the flouro sinks well,hugs the bottom and is difficult to see and the last 2''of braid give the rig suppleness near the hook.
Bear in mind I'm mainly fishing the middle trent,not a small southern river so have beefed up the terminal tackle accordingly.
I tie up loads of hook lengths at home and use a quick release swivel with a figure of eight loop so if I lose a rig in a snag it's a quick and simple job to replace it.
All the hooklength materials that have been mentioned by the OP have their place in different situations,it depends what type of venues you are fishing,the above is my choice for the particular conditions I am faced with.

As Jon knows, i use that rig as he recommended it, however I play around with the fluro breaking strain a little and also increase the length of braid from 2" to 4 or 5" sometimes, particually if flow is slow.

Back