• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hooks. Help.

And another vote for " The Hook ". Still got a decent supply. :). If i do get low, i think i,ll give the " new Gripz " a whirl. Gets around the barbed, barbless arguement. And also has a sealed eye, no gap, like the korum hooks had before they were discontinued. :( Although i did recently get a good deal on a job lot of Korda Kurv Shanks, but have yet to try them. :)

I stick with any wide gape style hook from Korda, Pallatrax (the hook or Gripz) Atomic Tackle or G Force. They all seem reliable and pretty much identical. For mono or fluorocarbon I generally use Korda choddy B's. I haven't had problems with any of these hooks. I don't get why there are problems with Korda hooks. Other than maybe because they are the curved shank type hooks which maybe are good for more complicated rigs but maybe more prone to damaged breakage or hook pulls.

just ordered some Pallatrax the hook to try, having been through bundles of others!!! . My concern with the Gripz, what happens on a barb only water? is it, isn't it!!!! I think it would fail the jumper test!!!!

thoughts

The Pallatrax from BFW, have my vote, used them for years now and wouldn't change. Plus it supports to a small extent this well run forum.

will give the tebay ones a bash .

Cheers Jon, have ordered 100 of Tebay size 8 , have had a few hook points turn over on the last trent session, nice fancy box but clearly not up to the job and a lot cheaper than going back to fox arma point.

The size 8s and 6s are absolutely bomb proof. The 10s can snap on a snag but the other sizes buy with confidence.

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies.
While I can't promise to try every hook mentioned, I'll certainly look at them all and try the ones that appeal to me.

I apologise for not replying sooner, that annoying real life got in the way ( didn't get to the river for 2 weeks ).

I'm in a total hook dilemma right now with an empty rig box and did the eBay thing on a promise of ' top quality ' hooks...I was all out apart from size 10 and 12 SSBs.
The eBay specials will be tested to destruction with pliers and forceps, and on the carp before I even try them.

But each and every recommendation will be written down and tried if I deem them suitable for my fishing.
So once again, my thanks to you all for replying to what is no doubt a commonplace title.

Just as an aside, had a barbel 1 agonizing ounce off my PB last night on my last Starbaits SSB5. Strong hooks, but the points turn over far too easily.

Been a useful read, just took delivery of "the Hook" like the pattern a lot and seem very strong, put to the test Sunday with luck.

Cheers Jon, have ordered 100 of Tebay size 8 , have had a few hook points turn over on the last trent session, nice fancy box but clearly not up to the job and a lot cheaper than going back to fox arma point.

Wow, arrived this week and I'm just making up some hooklengths. They are MASSIVE for size 8 no wonder they are bomb-proof! Seem like an ideal hook for a big lump of meat though.

Gardner Talon Tip. Look no further! Fantastic hooks which have never let me down even in smaller sizes (like size 12). A little expensive I admit but what price a decent hook when you've just struck into Barbus maximus?

Back