• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How Far ?

Mark Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi men,

Do you travel to fish ?, as it a minimum of 1 1/2 hour ish to the rivers we fish for me and Sue . Today we drove hundreds of miles , left at 7.30am , home for 5.30pm :eek: looking at 4 different rivers , looking for something we are struggling to find , but that's another story .

:eek: then up the horses to unload 88 bales of hay :eek:

Knackered Hatters

I reckon the Wye is my limit for a days fishing and that's about a 90 minute drive. I certainly admire the lengths you and Sue go to and I often meet folk on the Kennet that have travelled 2 hours plus to fish. And I am sure that will be a drop in the ocean compared to what other people do.

Between 10 and 20 minutes for me Mark, depending which river I fish.....

I do travel a lot for other species, 14 hour round trip to Southern Scotland for example!!

Bought myself a van to sleep in this season so no limit now. Before was a 180 mile round trip and I rarely do short sessions so the trip home was often difficult. Most of my fishing is within 30-45 mins drive, I can think of seven half-decent barbel rivers in that range.

40 minutes to the ribble is enough, working 60/70 hours a week I want to spend more time fishing than driving and cursing all the **** drivers on the road. I quite fancy the Trent though :D

An hour each way for me - which is an easy drive home after a successful session, but a long drive if I've blanked. Wouldn't fancy regularly driving more than that though.

As long as it takes mate too get to where i am going!

I used to do day trips too the Wye while living in Virginia Waters, i have been too the Trent for the day as well....................mad as a hatter? LOLOLOL

Hi men,

Tom , we regularly did a 2 hour drive for an afternoon / eve session on the Teme !, but then again with the traffic on the M4 it can be that for the Kennet !.

Getting to old for the day trips to the Wye though , well nearly :D

Hatter

River Wye 2 hrs from Berkshire , a nice drive their especially before Dawn, drive back always a struggle, going tomorrow , only go about 5 times / season , like the fact we normally catch a few in beautiful surfoundings.

200 mile round trip for me to the Kennet, 90 mins if M25 plays nice ! Have a place in Ludlow for fishing the Teme and Wye.

Just joined wasing,about 90 mins each way if I leave early and fish late which I will be doing,done day trips to hants avon a little to far for my liking.
Good luck to all

I dread to think how many miles, hours and pounds I've spent on the M4 going down to the Kennet, about 70 miles from home and 1-2 hours depending on traffic. Heathrow is certainly in the wrong place!!!!
Fortunately I now have some fishing on the upper Lea 18 miles up the A1, usually less than 1/2 hour. I can leave my rods assembled and be wetting a line very quickly, very useful for late afternoon into evening sessions of a few hours, when conditions are right.
Going with my son this evening, will probably fish about 7-10pm, more than likely most of the daytime anglers will have left with the cream of the days sport still to come.
Lovely.
I'll be going for some night time sea Trout fishing next month, which does involve a 100 mile drive each way. The journey home is always difficult, having been up all night flyfishing, but I still can't wait.

I think I am spoilt for choice :)
The Wye , The Upper Thames , Teme , Severn , W/Avon , Bristol Avon all with in about a 1 hour drive from me :)

20 mins is my maximum!

I generally only have a window of about 3-4 hours in which to fish, therefore the less time spent driving.....

That said, I am spoilt as Joe says above - t'aint far to any of them

I've not been fishing in over a season so it feels like a bloody long journey!

Given that I used to travel down to my folks on the train before getting a lift to the Wasing I'd say about 2hrs 30mins was my average one way.

I've also done Barton Court on the train from south east London. Bus, tube and train at just over two hours one way. Coming home on a Friday night carrying a stinking landing net, with everyone else heading out on the razz was 'fun'.

Hi Mark,

Nearly all my fishing is done 8 miles from home where ,from the same car park, I can fish for 15lb Barbel, 8lb Chub, 40lb Carp , double figure Tench and Bream.
Not to mention 20lb Pike and some big eels if that's your thing.
I do too much driving for work to enjoy it going fishing.
If I had a chauffeur I would spend all my time on the Thames.

I sympathise with you and Sue but your local River is struggling .

Richard

Back