• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

I got chills, they're multiplying..

Darren Hawen

Senior Member & Supporter
Re-reading the Barbel society book 'Barbel Tales' - In John Wilsons chapter he rates highly the use of baby multipliers when Barbelling. Never seen one on the bank myself, have seen plenty of rods set to Beachcaster style though. Has anyone used a multiplier for barbel fishing? Apologies for the close season type question...I just couldn't wait...:)

Re-reading the Barbel society book 'Barbel Tales' - In John Wilsons chapter he rates highly the use of baby multipliers when Barbelling. Never seen one on the bank myself, have seen plenty of rods set to Beachcaster style though. Has anyone used a multiplier for barbel fishing? Apologies for the close season type question...I just couldn't wait...:)

I think it was more of a campaign to sell his reels super six or something, probably a good reason they never caught on.

Yes, used and caught using a multiplier - pressed a Daiwa Millionaire 6HM into service. At the time just wanted to do something different. Think Dave Lumb also had a try.

Cheers
Bob

Yes, used and caught using a multiplier - pressed a Daiwa Millionaire 6HM into service. At the time just wanted to do something different. Think Dave Lumb also had a try.

Cheers
Bob

Bob, any plus points to using one over more conventional barbel fishing reels?

Bob, any plus points to using one over more conventional barbel fishing reels?

Can't think of any - usually poorer retrieve rate on smaller multipliers, awkward fishing/imbalance (reel on top and handle on RHS) and casting lighter weights longer distances can be a problem. Although the multiplier I used was a light beachcaster type. Reasonable control wise while playing a fish, but if non level wind type multi there is a even line lay 'complication'.

Was interesting to catch a couple of barbel though. Just had to try it, but won't be going back anytime soon.

Cheers
Bob

Back