• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

June 16 dilemma

Ooh dear, I used to play & watch too, but with all the diving & lack of respect for the officials (& each other) I couldn't stand it anymore...
Perhaps it would be better if soccer took a leaf from Rugby's ethics, the referee is 'Sir' and is given the respect he deserves, & a yellow card is 10 mins in the bin......any backchat penalties can be reversed and marched back 10 yards...
That should sort the players out...the fans? probably not possible to get them to the stage of respect that rugby fans (union & league) have for each other.....

So i'll still be fishing on the 16th......
I don't know how you give up supporting your country or your club because some players dive, some of us can't, anymore than give up fishing because we might not like the Carp scene Bob Robers, the Barbel Socity, or Mr Otter.
I have tried with football, it is just not possible, it might be easier supporting Germany, Man U, Chelsea or whoever, but it is not an option, ask Hatter.

I quite often have to put Deep Heat on me bad back just before I leave the house and head for the river, and trust me, if one molecule of it got onto me end tackle (and you can take that either way), I would not be catching anything all day.

My hands get the most thorough wash in recorded history as the last thing I do before setting off.

Anyway, Bale or Barbel on June 16th at 2pm? Neither, I´ll be working.

Barbel in the evening.

Once upon a time

Many moons ago, a mate and i went night fishing at Sefton Park lake in Liverpool. It had been a real summers day, high in the 20,s i think, and as such, being young and naive, we went without the appropriate warm clothing. We arrived at the lake before darkness fell, tackled up, and got set for a good nights tench fishing, tench upto 7 maybe 8lb. By midnight, we,d had a couple of fish each, but none of the biggies. The mist was by now, rolling over the lake, and being a cloudless night, the temp had dropped quite a bit. By 2 a.m. we were freezing our b******s off. In my little cantilever tackle box, i had a Ralgex rub on stick, when i had a Eurika moment, just behind us in the rocks was a cave. In i went, stripped off to the birthday suit, and covered myself from head to toe in this potent orange rub, and i do mean everywhere. WOW!!!! instant warmth, fantastic, or so i thought. Within 10 minutes, my skin felt like it was starting to bubble with the heat, 2 minutes later i was almost in tears, my knackers were on fire, only one thing for it, my cycle bottle full of orange juice was quickly dispatched, but to no avail, one more option, back down to the birthday suit and into the lake, the steam looked like a boiling kettle, but what relief. The mate was just creased up on the bank, couldn,t believe what i was doing, then realised i had fecked his swim.

Moral of the story, IF YOU GO NIGHT FISHING, TAKE WARM CLOTHING NO MATTER WHAT.

The above taken from this very funny thread/read

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/barbel-talk/9917-fishing-stories.html

Brilliant Derek.

But knowing that area pretty well meself, you would need to have a screw loose to be in ´Seffy Park´at night. On the other hand the Deep Heat and erratic behaviour might help as scally repellent.

I don't know how you give up supporting your country or your club because some players dive, some of us can't, anymore than give up fishing

Not a straight comparison, though is it? I would never give up watching & playing football itself - football has been and remains a vital thread through my life - but I could imagine giving up supporting a country or even a team because of factors like its fans, players, owners, prices charged, governing bodies, etc. And if enough people do the same, wonderful things could happen (FC United being the shining example)

Equally I could leave a fishing club because of the people in it, their rules and decisions, but I wouldn´t have to give up fishing.

It really depends whether you love the sport more, or are devoted slavishly to a club or country more.

I´m the former and believe that too many people don´t question their loyalty to such entities anything like enough.

Brilliant Derek.

But knowing that area pretty well meself, you would need to have a screw loose to be in ´Seffy Park´at night. On the other hand the Deep Heat and erratic behaviour might help as scally repellent.

Not a straight comparison, though is it? I would never give up watching & playing football itself - football has been and remains a vital thread through my life - but I could imagine giving up supporting a country or even a team because of factors like its fans, players, owners, prices charged, governing bodies, etc. And if enough people do the same, wonderful things could happen (FC United being the shining example)

Equally I could leave a fishing club because of the people in it, their rules and decisions, but I wouldn´t have to give up fishing.

It really depends whether you love the sport more, or are devoted slavishly to a club or country more.

I´m the former and believe that too many people don´t question their loyalty to such entities anything like enough.
Yes to a point, but there remains one constant for me throughout my life, Bristol City and fishing, not say I am happy always with the former, but it's non negotiable.
Can I add all things England too? :rolleyes:

Funny the Deep Heat has come up now, I was nearly going to post similar... I have an age related sore thumb joint, and whilst in the garage found a can of the stuff, so duly sprayed my thumb, only for the nozzle to aim right into my eye, that hurt, a lot :eek:

Hi men ,

You dont choose a football club , it has chosen you , you dont decide to fish , it has decided you must , fact .

Believe me , Luton Town FC have given me and my family raw emotions as strong as any you can feel . In 25 years we have gone from cup winners in the best final at Wembley against Arsenal , qualifying for European football , to seasons in non league . Beaten in playoff finals , promotion, to start our long trek back up the leagues , knowing with certainty that it will all happen again . Cant fight this affliction , because like fishing , its in the blood , there is room for both.

Hatter

nah.

people often feel they have to give up fishing for years, often for relationship reasons. Same football. Hopefully they´ll come back to it later

some people can give up smoking, some can´t.

some people think it´s ok to let their kids smoke, some don´t.

some people think it´s ok to tell their children what religion to believe, some don´t.
Some can give up their parents´religion, some can´t.

some people think it´s ok to tell your kids what football team to support, some don´t.
some can give up their parents´team, some can´t

I think both of the last two are forms of child abuse meself.

nah.

people often feel they have to give up fishing for years, often for relationship reasons. Same football. Hopefully they´ll come back to it later

some people can give up smoking, some can´t.

some people think it´s ok to let their kids smoke, some don´t.

some people think it´s ok to tell their children what religion to believe, some don´t.
Some can give up their parents´religion, some can´t.

some people think it´s ok to tell your kids what football team to support, some don´t.
some can give up their parents´team, some can´t

I think both of the last two are forms of child abuse meself.

The only constant is the football team, all the rest is negotiable, I don't make the rules.

Go fishing. Take a radio with you and have it playing through a single earpiece (so you are still aware of your surroundings/alarms etc.). The hair on my back still stands up every time I think back to the commentary of the Liverpool v St Etienne match and Fairclough's goal! I was listening to it as a teenager at the time and the atmosphere conveyed was electric.

I used to follow Liverpool, but Brighton was my local team, I used to watch Brighton regularly, but I know i'll never go back, it has absolutely no appeal to me these days.
I watch Rugby, both league and Union, that's my choice, I think that while the supporters are just as passionate in rugby as soccer they are much less confrontational, more mature and so much better behaved, to the point of no segregation needed
And I have had a sabbatical from fishing, more to do with work commitments than choice, I may not be doing the same types of fishing but I am still very much an angler.

I used to follow Liverpool, but Brighton was my local team, I used to watch Brighton regularly, but I know i'll never go back, it has absolutely no appeal to me these days.
I watch Rugby, both league and Union, that's my choice, I think that while the supporters are just as passionate in rugby as soccer they are much less confrontational, more mature and so much better behaved, to the point of no segregation needed
And I have had a sabbatical from fishing, more to do with work commitments than choice, I may not be doing the same types of fishing but I am still very much an angler.

Agree with Andy. One of the most enjoyable games I have ever been to was at Old Trafford when the might reds hosted Celtic in the Champions league. The ticketing allocation seemed to have gone a bit hay wire and Celtic fans were scattered all around the east and north stand - with no discernible Celtic section. I ended up being sat in the East stand instead of usual seat and found myself sat cheek-by-jowl with a load of well oiled Celtic fans. I did wonder if things might get a bit lary - but it was absolutely brilliant. Good-natured, edgy and very funny banter between both sets of fans for the full 90 minutes, it helps that it was good game which United won 3-2.
When the final whistle blew the sight of fans from both sides shaking hands and back slapping was slightly surreal. But I guess it would have only taken a few idiots for all of that to have been ruined - bit like the outside Bolyn on Tuesday.

We Had a very similar experience with some Leinster fans in Cardiff at a European champs a few years ago, round the bars before the game & bugger me if we didn't bump into the same group afterwards, so it was off around the town again, brilliant lads, brilliant night, and a hangover to remember!

Agree with Andy. One of the most enjoyable games I have ever been to was at Old Trafford when the might reds hosted Celtic in the Champions league. The ticketing allocation seemed to have gone a bit hay wire and Celtic fans were scattered all around the east and north stand - with no discernible Celtic section. I ended up being sat in the East stand instead of usual seat and found myself sat cheek-by-jowl with a load of well oiled Celtic fans. I did wonder if things might get a bit lary - but it was absolutely brilliant. Good-natured, edgy and very funny banter between both sets of fans for the full 90 minutes, it helps that it was good game which United won 3-2.
When the final whistle blew the sight of fans from both sides shaking hands and back slapping was slightly surreal. But I guess it would have only taken a few idiots for all of that to have been ruined - bit like the outside Bolyn on Tuesday.

Reminds me of the Billy Connolly funny where he got into the wrong part of the stands in a Celtic/Rangers game. The other lot didn't beat him up, they just did a 'Big Jobby' in his shoes and made him put them back on :D

Cheers, Dave.

Reminds me of the Billy Connolly funny where he got into the wrong part of the stands in a Celtic/Rangers game. The other lot didn't beat him up, they just did a 'Big Jobby' in his shoes and made him put them back on :D

Cheers, Dave.

Dave - there was no way on earth I'd have gone to fetch the bovril...

This is great, you can all leave the riverbank and hit the pub to watch the footy. I'll be on the bank with a choice of swims. Stuff the football fishing comes first.

This is great, you can all leave the riverbank and hit the pub to watch the footy. I'll be on the bank with a choice of swims. Stuff the football fishing comes first.

Just a pity that other game that is played with a large egg is not on at the same time, might be able to have a choice of whole rivers ;)

Stephen

Back