• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Karen Twine research

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
I have just received (thanks Paul M)the Karen Twine finished Barbel report.

She says happy for it to be shared, so if anyone has the tec knowhow to put a link please do.

Its jolly long, but an initial speedread shows it to be very interesting, especially to me regarding the effect Oestrogen is having in affecting fish sexuality.

Graham

If Graham says Karen is happy for it to be shared then if you send me a PM with your email address I will forward you a copy of the finished thesis.

It is a pdf document, not your average light bedtime reading.

I automatically went to the section on predation and saw the summary:

and therefore predation of barbel by otters within this region is possible.

POSSIBLE!!!?

And in conclusion:

With regard to concerns over the impact of otter predation on barbel numbers, as the otter is a native species it is protected by the Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC) there are no options for controlling numbers to reduce predation.

Whoopy-do-da-day!

It's just given me an idea to do a doctorate on the problem of immigration into the UK.

My summary would probably state:

and therefore immigration into the UK is possible

In conclusion:

With regard to concerns over the impact of immigration on population numbers, as the immigrants are protected under an EEC directive there are no options for controlling numbers to reduce societal pressures.

Sorry Karen, I'm sure your work is wonderful and at some stage I may read the rest of the report, but for anglers bemoaning the wiping out of stocks by tarka and his mates, it does little to reassure anyone.

Last edited:
Quick look, but what stood out for me was the length of Barbel from rivers, distribution, and feeding periods.

As to 2009 the Thames catchment was the stand out area for barbel numbers and also boasting a good average size, but the data submitted is only to 2009 and a lot has happened in four years, but the pattern generally is as we all suspected is a decline in population on all rivers.

Huge amount of information to chew over, thanks Karen.:)

I automatically went to the section on predation and saw the summary:

POSSIBLE!!!?

And in conclusion:

Whoopy-do-da-day!

It's just given me an idea to do a doctorate on the problem of immigration into the UK.

My summary would probably state:

In conclusion:

Sorry Karen, I'm sure your work is wonderful and at some stage I may read the rest of the report, but for anglers bemoaning the wiping out of stocks by tarka and his mates, it does little to reassure anyone.

It wasn't a document that was supposed to reassure Barbel anglers but merely delivers the cold hard facts, unpalatable as they may be.

Why because I mention the word immigration has it got to be racist? I haven't mentioned the origin of immigrants so perhaps you have jumped to a conclusion based on your own views. I was merely referring to it as an analogy because many complain about it but little can be done. Ditto otters.

Back to the report. A great deal of effort has gone into this piece of research, but when you read it you will find holes and lots of unanswered questions. It does however give a wonderful insight into the habits of barbel and some of these are useful to anglers. The fact that the two 'big girls' (my assumption of the sex) moved around the most was a fascinating point that needs further investigation. It also has implications for the specimen anglers. I will keep dipping into it to discover more.

Tony
I have got to read it through in more detail.

But came to the conclusion that the Big Girls were either travelling about more because they were

Eating
or Shopping

Graham

Neil, the cold hard facts regarding predation have yet to be researched properly. As anglers we all have our anecdotal evidence, but this is as far as it goes (none of this hasn't been collated as far as I'm aware).

PS Regarding the length of barbel, it certainly threw up a surprise in my neck of the woods!

Your reply was outrageous and racist and you should be ashamed of yourself for thinking you can explain it away simply by your choice of analogy

I like this forum, I liked Paul boote and Peter Marshall but I cannot stand this sort of comment going unnoticed. Look deeper explain yourself better! Or bloody well apologise

Nick, You admit to liking Paul B and Peter M as if its some dark secret. Hope the weight has been lifted.

There was nothing wrong with Anthonys comments, must be just in your interpretation.

Back