• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

keeping me paste on !

NS
I dont reckon a "fairly stiff paste" moulded around the hook will have the same hooking up potential as a hair rig or stay on as well on a longish cast and stay on the hook for 20min or so in the river.
RE
Pva will help on the cast but melt in the water so I guess offers nothing once the cast is made,,,unless I am missing something there.I would not want to rely on hair to pva connection not getting wet and dissolving,even if it could be wrapped /covered in paste.If you found it works then fair play.
PM
Korum paste cages look handy ,I would fancy them if a very rubbery construction and size appropriate.Advert does not go into much detail.

Thanks for that one and all.

Moulded paste on the hook has brought me some success, especially in avoiding Chub, Barbel cover a bait, chub will pick away, and a hair rig allows them to do just that.
I don't want my paste to stay on the hook for anything like 20 minutes anyway, the idea that paste should be that it does come off it keeps 'em interested. I hold the rod if I can, as bites can be lightning quick, used to work fine before hair rigs with us old 'uns.:)
I really don't like these cage things, keep it simple.

Clearly what you wish your method to do works for you but was not really what I was looking for in my first post ,,but good to read anyway.

Yes keen to keep it simple ,like to catch a few as well and not afraid to try a thing or two occassionally ;) as we all do I am sure.
Cheers M

The paste cages are good but they're not rubbery. I've had the odd problem of the the small tag breaking off where you tie on the the line but otherwise they're pretty good bits of kit.
You can put a small piece of cork in them which helps stop them being crushed plus offsets the extra weight. Used them for chubbing but not for barbel.

Clearly what you wish your method to do works for you but was not really what I was looking for in my first post ,,but good to read anyway.

Yes keen to keep it simple ,like to catch a few as well and not afraid to try a thing or two occassionally ;) as we all do I am sure.
Cheers M

OK M, but why do you have to hair rig? Paste is difficult to keep on the hook, we know that, but that is the attraction, bits breaking off create a scent trail and small particles as feed.
Similar to bread crust or flake, it goes on the hook, and bits break off, or strike off, so simple, and so effective.

The paste cages are good but they're not rubbery. I've had the odd problem of the the small tag breaking off where you tie on the the line but otherwise they're pretty good bits of kit.
You can put a small piece of cork in them which helps stop them being crushed plus offsets the extra weight. Used them for chubbing but not for barbel.

Cut the tag off Darren and tie the hair through one of the 2 hundred other holes ! best paste holders i've ever used but that tag ? WHY ? :D

armour coat mesh is flexible(softish) can withstand crayfish pinching the bait so it fits your bill pretty good Mark, IT WORKS, ;)

Agree Simon that they're superb, and yes, that tag. Pointless. And yes, plenty of other holes to choose from :)

NS
Why hair rig paste..
Want to hair rig paste as opposed to pellets.
Need to cast a fair way and difficult to stay on hook every time.
Better hook up ratio I would imagine
Might like to use really small bits of paste (worked in past close in) or quite large bits.
Paste can still break down/scent trail just dont want to sit behind a bare hook

Mesh sounds good
Cage sound too rigid so pass.

Plan A ..Make suitable shaped boilie from paste and use same paste moulded around it
Plan B.. Mesh on hair,press paste into/around it

Tie the cage so it's tight to the hook, then simply mould the paste around the cage and hook leaving the point free. Keeps the paste on a treat, and as I said before, put a bit of cork in the cage to both stop it being crushed, and negate the weight of the cage. Easy.

Back