• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum Digital Scales

Face it chaps . Digital scales are pants . Get some Reubon Heaton dial scales or some Avons , you just can't go wrong with them . Durable and accurate . You can pick up second hand ones on the E bay for reasonable money if you are on a limited budget . Old school at times really is the best way to go :D

Agreed. Was let down twice my chub digitals - never again. Reubon Heaton specimen hunters for carping/piking and avon dial scales for smaller species is, hopefully, all i'll ever need. Just recalibrate them every few years (if they need it).

Have used RH9000's for 2 years now,second set as the first packed up.The new set also plays up in cold weather so I now also carry my RH Flyweights with me,which kind of defeats the object.Digital is ok for storing music files and other such things,but for certain applications it really is ****

Digital's ...good for dry, sunny and warm days (in my experience). The problem is, how many of these do we get?

Originally Posted by Graham Young
Never had a problem, weighed a Barbel of 32lbs yesterday on mine, not quite a PB but a nice fish all the same.

This had me chuckling :)

I've always been a great fan of Avons, which have served me well for donkeys years. They have their detractors but have remained an accurate reliable weighing scale for me. I check them regularly and have never had to recalibrate them.
I brought a set of R/H 7000's digitals some years ago because of the backlight facility and the large offset ( for weigh sling) that they offer.
I've never had a problem with them in wet or sub zero conditions but find them a little bulky with the tee bar.
The only problem with the Avons is that the colour coded round the clock window colours have faded which bizarrely seems to coincide with the increased amount of doubles I seem to catch nowadays!:D

Today, I dug out a picture of a 4lb 2oz perch caught by my dad in 1959 overhanging a copy of the A T and weighed on Samsons I think.
Dad took a scale off the fish and sent it to Richard Walker along with the pic. and received a lovely reply stating that in his opinion there was no doubt that the perch was 4lb + and congratuled him on "an exceptional capture ".
That pic. and letter from R.W. remains a piece of family fame for me but cuts no ice with my son.:rolleyes:
Nice way to get your fish verified though.:

If you want Avons be prepared to pay up to £30 and be prepared to watch eBay for a decent amount of time (to get a good set) . I kept a look out after trying digitals not trusting them mainly then bought (rare as hens teeth) a brand new boxed set of avons which were in kilos but I'm never likely to find a new set again.

Excellent story Dave.

Back to the (t)rusty avons for me too, I've had two sets of Korum digitals, on/off button went on both, still got the second set which works if I disconnect / reconnect the battery, but it's hardly ideal. Also tried Fox digitals, £99, they went back to the shop after a 7lb-ish barbel came in at 0lb 52oz. I keep looking for some reliable digital scales but am starting to think it's a waste of time.

I had mine recalibrated last year - I think they still do that.

They have just run out of spare parts.

If they know there is such a demand for them, maybe they would consider making them again!

On a very wet dark night in November 2011 I caught a barbel on the ribble that I thought was going to be my first double, I grabbed my digital scales from my rucksack( can't remember the make) only to find they wouldn't switch on, a change of batteries and still no joy. I launched them up the bank in a fit of rage and vowed never to use digital scales again, bought a set of reubon Heaton the next day, only 2 doubles since but at least I know they work

I rememberd where I bought theses scales from. It was Red Fins at Measham. I've just phoned them and they said dont worry about not having a recept just bring them back and we'll get the replaced for you.
Just what I wanted to hear and I'll be taking them back this afternoon. Great service.

I rememberd where I bought theses scales from. It was Red Fins at Measham. I've just phoned them and they said dont worry about not having a recept just bring them back and we'll get the replaced for you.
Just what I wanted to hear and I'll be taking them back this afternoon. Great service.

Another reason for supporting local tackle shops :)

You will note I said dial scales , I mean't the large RH dial scales . You are right Neil , the latest Reubon heaton flyweight scales are poor quality , cheaply built and wildly inaccurate . I had x3 sets of them which all went back as inaccurate , very disappointing ...

Agree, the RH dial scales IMO have been very poor, however have been quite happy with their digiitals, wheras again IMO Fox digitals are only useful as a doorstop,

Back