• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum Hooks.

I bought some of the Xpert Power hooks but haven't bother using them after hearing negative reports of them snapping and straightening.

Stephen

I binned quite a few packs of hooks in a recent rig wallet clearout, you know the situation you try one and there is something that you dont like about it and then thats the end of that packet, and so it goes.....Its beginning to sound like the the xpert power hooks that are in the post will also be binned...Been using the Raptor T6 hooks and have been happy with them, short shank wide gape, haven't used them as yet but i have some of the Gardner Target hooks and they look ok....

Bought quite a few packets 10-14s the price is right and a nice pattern but......landed a 6lb barbel that shot off quite hard when i hooked it and 5-6lb river carp did same again both fish when landed had opened the hook up!!! a bit gutted so had to stop using them at the moment because the river ive started to visit has some big fish and they go mad when hooked also bites are few and far between so dont want to risk it!!

Thats a good point Stuart, if you are fishing a hard venue with few bites you wantconfidence in your tackle and a hook that will bring the catch to the net...

Pallatrax 'The Hook'. Available in sizes from 16 up to 6 I think. Strong, sharp and never had a problem with them. Great for all sorts of applications.

Drennan Continentals 8 to 4 are totally reliable. So far I've had no trouble with Kamasan Animal in the smaller sizes, not sure what others think?

Yep heard good things about the pallatrax hooks and i did once have a look at the D7s which looked solid enough....Never seen the Animals though the Kamasan Barbel Maxx look a nice pattern but have no experience of them.

Raptor T-6 are excellent, also agree that the Drennan Continental are good hooks, wish they were available in smaller sizes.
Use Animal 14's and 16's a lot for my tench fishing, only problem I've found is the eyes are a little small for tying knotless knot D-rigs once you go over 0.19 line size.

Bill,
If you're a fan of the old Korum S hooks with the sealed eye,have a look at the Owner range with a "taff ring" which is the term they've patented for sealed eyed hooks.I did post this info a few years ago when Korum phased them out but can't a link to that info.

Regards
Pete.

Hi men,

Whilst on the subject of hooks , we tried the new Korda crank hook at the weekend . Other than chub , sue had a decent barbel in a tight swim , great hook hold . Will carry on with these on one rod , as it seems to have a lot going for it , offset wide gape , nice point , dull finish. , and has been tested for use with the knot less knot that I use most of the time .

Hatter

Liked the price of the korums at 1.25 a pack but had first few slightly bend, even unhooking and also found they lost their sharpness quickly too! For me its gardner talon tips or raptor t6's, although used the gardner target hooks recently and was impressed

Bill,
If you're a fan of the old Korum S hooks with the sealed eye,have a look at the Owner range with a "taff ring" which is the term they've patented for sealed eyed hooks.I did post this info a few years ago when Korum phased them out but can't a link to that info.

Regards
Pete.

Thanks Peter, I've since found the "old" thread and found a supplier of the Owner hooks and ordered some size 6 &. 8's to have a look.

Regards

Bill

Hi Ash,
I have a pack of the Target Hooks haven't tried them yet though, nice pattern and they are very sharp....Not the cheapest though.

Hi Ash,
I have a pack of the Target Hooks haven't tried them yet though, nice pattern and they are very sharp....Not the cheapest though.

I got a couple of packs free with my CAT subscription over a year ago with other gardner bits, very sharp and strong yet a thinner gauge than the talon tips

Hi men,

Whilst on the subject of hooks , we tried the new Korda crank hook at the weekend . Other than chub , sue had a decent barbel in a tight swim , great hook hold . Will carry on with these on one rod , as it seems to have a lot going for it , offset wide gape , nice point , dull finish. , and has been tested for use with the knot less knot that I use most of the time .

Hatter

That's my only issue with the Raptors, they are a little shiny for clear water daytime use.

Stephen

Back