• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum Xpert Line And Braid?

The only thing I would worry about is the unpredictability of braid claimed breaking strains which seem consistently unreliable .

I think thats probably off set by the fact Braid can be a much finer diameter but far stronger, like for like mono or Fluro diameters its probably 15-20lbs stronger with most brands.

You'd therefore get the advantages of little tow or drag on the line and maybe a much lighter lead/feeder, I've never really got into using the stuff but I am tempted to give it a go, if done sensibly with a leader or weaker none mainline braid material it should be fine fish care wise.

After using Big Game, Soft Steel, Sensor - I switched over to Korda Sub-line.....

Nowhere nearly as much line twist (as is inevitable while reeling a lead back through running water) and as the name suggests - sinks very well.

I hear Korum are bringing out a new barbel line ready for the
New season, simply called Korum - 'Barbel line' although can't
Find anything about it on the Internet. Anyone seen it yet ?

I think thats probably off set by the fact Braid can be a much finer diameter but far stronger, like for like mono or Fluro diameters its probably 15-20lbs stronger with most brands.

You'd therefore get the advantages of little tow or drag on the line and maybe a much lighter lead/feeder, I've never really got into using the stuff but I am tempted to give it a go, if done sensibly with a leader or weaker none mainline braid material it should be fine fish care wise.

I have used braided mainline for Barbel fishing for nigh on 10 years now. The things I have learnt is that it's not for everyone. It's got to be fished safely too ie a leader of either Monday or fluorocarbon has to be used. Braid no matter will break and fray when it comes into contact with rocks etc. Tree branches it cuts into and will give you different problems. A leader of 4 to 6 foot is about right or curtail it for your fishing. If you fish small rivers mono is probably a better option Imo. I do fish smaller rivers and I simply use a smaller diameter fluorocarbon leader of around 16lb. The idea that it's thinner yes and no. I'd you put a micrometer on it. It flattens it and gives the smaller diameter. What I have found with power products is that when Fishing at distance on a used line is that it will reduce the distance you throw as the semi open braid picks up friction during the castime and thus it also picks up friction in the water also so not many benefits there. The big way it benefits me it the strength and the ease of use. In strength if I pull for a break ialways get my rig back. I may drop my feeder as I have incorporated a weak link in here. The next weakness is the hook which generally bend out at 14 plus pounds. I fish the TT mostly and braid works for me, but also a good mono works for a lot more anglers than braid.

I wonder if the barbel line is a slightly rebadged version of their reel line, which they pulled from the market last year.

Not that I caught anything or even had a knock for the 15-16 hours I was fishing yesterday, but in use I can confirm that both the Xpert mainline and braid are excellent. The mainline is supple, not too springy and lays quite nice on the river bed. The braid showed no signs of fraying or parting, and both braid hooklengths didn't need changing at all, despite lying on different bottoms and getting snagged up in weed a couple of times.

I'll update further when I've actually caught something on them!

I can report back with a more informed opinion now, having had a couple of sessions with lots of chub action in snaggy swims.

Both the line (6lb) and braid (10lb) are fantastic - soft, supple, little to no memory, they do both seem to be incredibly abrasion resistant (I spent a lot of yesterday with both line and braid laid over and hanging off sunken boulders and in stony swims, with no fraying on either the braid or the line).

Both incredibly strong too - I did get snagged up into a sunken tree root yesterday and am pleased to report that the hook straightened before the braid or the line gave out.

My line experience is admittedly quite limited and I've never used braid until recently, but they might just be the best stuff I've ever used.

I find exactly the same Steve, though I am not using the braid, only the mono. Superb stuff, love it. I was going to say that I feel extremely happy now that I have found a line that I have total confidence in...but I daren't, because every time I like something that much, they discontinue it :mad:

Cheers, Dave.

Back