• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lean Spell !!

Lean spells were invented to make us really appreciate red letter days. I'm experiencing a lean spell on the Kennet and I can't wait for my red letter day. It's on the horizon, I know it is. Or just around the corner, or imminent. Soon anyway.

I will never grow weary of seeing kingfishers or that cheeky/brave robin that knows you have something it wants to eat. Lovely.

Yes, I did find it difficult Graham, it wasn't helped by the fact that I had my mate with me who is not really an angler. I was desperately trying to get him into a Barbel to no avail. Better luck next time as he wants back to try again.
You are spot on with the area for the Barn Owl sighting. My wife wants to come along to see the spectacle.... Someone to make the tea :D

Good Luck with your lean spell Howard, I'm sure you're right and that red letter day is just round the corner :)

Anticipation of the next fish is what keeps me going , and like a lot of you chaps watching the birds and animals helps things along while I wait . This evening say Barn Owl , Tawny owl and a little owl all within ten minutes . Perhaps I am missing bites whilst gawping at all these birds . Tonight I also managed to get lost in the fog on the way back to my car on a stretch of river I have fished for forty years !

A dedicated few of us have been going on a barbel fishing week in Sept. since 1978 and have a trophy for the biggest barbel of the week.
A few years ago we had spent the week on the Hamp. Avon and a good fishing buddy of mine was on a blank for barbel.
The pressure was on for the fella, so during the last afternoon of the trip I baited up a swim just downstream from me and very soon had a few average size barbel grubbing about.
I gave him a call and asked if he had caught,..the answer was in the negative, so I told him about the downstream swim. Despite being at the other end of the fishery he swallowed his pride and walked the half mile or so to join me.
Well, now the pressure was on me,..hoping that he was going to get a result!
We were due to pack up at 8 pm and at dusk my mate pointed to a Barn Owl patrolling the opposite meadow,..almost in slow motion.
Bang on 8 o clock his rod goes round and would you believe banks the best double of the week...and the trophy!...must say I was as happy as he was!
Now the spooky bit of the tale is that at the beggining of the year my mate had cut out and saved his Angling Times horoscope which he had kept in his wallet, which he produced to the rest of us in the pub that evening.

It read,..'A white bird will bring you luck' !!:eek:

Back