• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lure fishing for bass..

Craig Wood

Well im utterly hooked..what fantastic sport, bass offer on lures?.Unfortunatly i dont own a boat so i am confined from fishing from the shore..Yesterday i had 5 bass..3 were in the 2lb bracket..one at 4lb and a cracker at 5lb..Today i had 2 one at 3lb and one at 4lb...:)

does anyone know of any Bass lure fishing opps on the dorset coast at all?

I have wanted to lure fish for bass for years!

any help would be great!

Anywhere around dorset you will find bass off the shores..the purbecks or from christchurch right up to poole..take your pick!!!..the guy paul mentions does guiding as paul has said..personaly i much prefer to try and find out myself thats part of the fun i think..This has been my first season lure fishing for bass and i must admit im absulutely loving it..but ive plenty more to learn and plenty of venues to go and explore..If your looking for a good venue to start i would say by the ferry at sandbanks is a good starting point..

Even greater fun using a 7 or 8 weight fly rod with floating line with sink tip and sandeel 'fly' especially when you hook them in 2 foot of water in failing light after the kids have vacated the beach. Just don't try to stop that first rush

Mike

Bass on lures is great fun, i'd not done some for a while until in cornwall a few weeks ago, only managed a few modest fish but took them on poppers in inches of foamy water close in, fantastic and exciting sport!:)

But..........

Being a sucker for taking anything on the fly rod and as Mike says above it really is hard to beat, i'm back down in cornwall for a long weekend of fishing a week on friday and cannot wait. Hopefully the conditions will allow me to give the 5wt a good bending!;)

0078copy2.jpg

Is it time to go yet?????

Cheers,

Graham

Any body who wants an awesome lure but doesn't want the designer japanese price tag, look at the daiwa salt pro range, awesome lures, casts miles, have had a fish on it every time i've used it (I now have 3!).
A good tackle house feed shallow immitation is the daiwa chugger minnow, super shallow diver but at £5.99 is a whopping £17 quid cheeper than the feed shallow. I have 2 of these, the black and purple one is great as the light fades right into darkness.

I had 3 small bass all on a mirror lure shallow XII in white and red on Friday at hengistbury head/mudeford! My first ever!

All were very small but I was over the moon none the less, It would be good to know where the bigger fish hide though!?

Nowadays, Ricky, whether you're fishing Dorset (which I used to fish a bit) or West Wales (which I bassed a lot), you tend to have to go through many small fish to get a big un. And, by the way, when you do get that lunker, please put it back!

Last edited:
Yes, sadly, once again due to narrow minded, and often ill-advised conservation practices in this country, our minimum bass size of 37.5cm (cornwall, maybe different elsewhere) is very ineffective and even illogical. a bass of below that size is unlikely to be a mature breeding individual. in my opinion our system is the wrong way round. I believe their should be a 'maximum keeping size' whereby any fish over a certain size must be returned as these are your key breeders. removing these fully grown fish will really effect future recruitment.
Not incurraging people to take undersized fish, the system i go by is to only keep your average 2-3lb fish and put everything else back (with only very rare exceptions).

Why not stay safe and put them all back :) They dont taste as good as they're all cracked up to be anyway and they couldnt be more fun on a fly or light spinning rod.

Cheers
Adam

I do normally put all bass back, but if i am keeping some (dinner party etc) those are the guidelines I follow.
Disagree on the taste part, i think they are amazingly tasty! in my opinion the only fish that beats them in our waters is the gilthead bream.

Last edited:
George,

They are good guidelines to follow if some must be taken and no doubt the state of british bass would be a lot better if everyone followed them.

I don't enjoy eating many fish, can't stand the taste!

Cheers
Adam

Theres also the spear fisherman who kill the big bass..One spearfisherman down here in dorset was very proud with the 9lb bass he had killed..unfortunately for him the anglers were not too happy and made it known in no uncertain terms that it would be a good idea if he didnt come back..But if you look on the various bass fishing sites the new shore caught record bass was killed by its captor and he also has come in for alot of flack.There are alot more bass anglers now who realise catch and release is the way forward and its something i practice also..:cool:

Back