• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

mainline

Give it go, somewhere you can "see" what they think and how they react. It would be interesting to know as some say all line looks the same, regardless of colour, when in the water.

Give it go, somewhere you can "see" what they think and how they react. It would be interesting to know as some say all line looks the same, regardless of colour, when in the water.

Some say 'All line looks the same' :eek:..........surely that's a very 'lineist' thing to say Shaun!!!

Cheers, Dave :D

Think that you are more worried than the fish will be.....

The Nash Diffusion Camo line looks fluro green but you put it on the bottom of a river or lake bed and I would challenge you to see it!!

It's Berkeley big game Jon.
It will be my first time for barbel and don't want to sit there blanking thinking it mite be the line:(

Can you rtn it and swap for a different colour? If its the trent I would recomend 15lb.

Last edited:
It's Berkeley big game Jon.
It will be my first time for barbel and don't want to sit there blanking thinking it mite be the line:(

Probably won't make a blind bit of difference what colour line you have, but if you don't feel confident it can gnaw at you.

I take it you are a reformed carper?:confused:

Probably won't make a blind bit of difference what colour line you have, but if you don't feel confident it can gnaw at you.

I take it you are a reformed carper?:confused:

Yes it's the confidence thing that puts me off using it, normally fish for pike in winter and river carp in summer, only got to go a couple of times last summer and blanked but caught a 5 1/2lb barbel and was impressed with the scrap on 2.75 carp rods:)

imo visible line doesn,t scare fish as much as invisable line if tight to the rod top, the fish see it and unless highly pressured most wil just swim round it

Yes it's the confidence thing that puts me off using it, normally fish for pike in winter and river carp in summer, only got to go a couple of times last summer and blanked but caught a 5 1/2lb barbel and was impressed with the scrap on 2.75 carp rods:)

Glad you have seen the light Wayne, :) I use Berkly line clear 10lb, but I prefer the Trilene XL, it is great for casting (smooth) low memory, and seems to adhere to the breaking strain.

However I have also used the Green and it does not seem to be a problem, I can still blank wonderfully well with either :)

I only cost £6.50 for 2000 yards mite just resell it
If it's made in Japan and/or came from Ebay ... ditch it.

I lost 2 big barbel and a 20lb+ carp before I realised the line had decayed badly in only a few months. I replaced it with Big Game from a good (more expensive) supplier, it was Made in USA and I've had no problems with it.

am i missing the point or got dodgy line off ebay?
i tried the big game one and changed it back to my old trusty maxima chameleon as soon as i got back home

found it was like using wire seemed to end up and just yards of spring like coils and kept coming off the spool and tangling up around the tip of the rod drove me mad in the end

Back