• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

making rigs

Lee Iley

Just wondering how many of us already make hook lenghs up before going on the bank or do you make them has you go i make a bulk up to last me a season bit wondering weather just to make them as i het on the bank

I make em up as i go along to be honest and then strip them all down at the end of the season.

I often make up two or three each of a couple of different types, just for quick changes if I snap up at a bad time. However, these are saved for those emergencies normally, and other than that I make up what I need on the bank as I go along. Where I fish (or should that read 'the way I fish') the need for a quick change because the fish are going nuts is a pretty rare thing :D

Cheers, Dave.

I am so fussy about hook sharpness that I always have a few (3 or 4) spares made up of whatever I am likely to call upon in a session, as I use them I break them down and tie new ones on the bank, but always have a buffer made up.

I always have a few made up of different sizes and make up depending what/where and how I'm fishing;) Will always stock my rig wallet back up before next session:p, hopefully after rigs being worn out and not snapped:D

I normally make up at least 15 rigs in advance and top up once i drop below 5, i like to have as many spares as i can as i'm always checking the rigs during a session, any little thing wrong with it, it's off ;)

I make up, like Nic, about a dozen or more in advance. I like to think that making them while not fishing (at home in the garden) I am more likely to ditch any that seem below par. While on the bank the pressure to get fishing, often while I can see the fish I want to catch, can affect my judgement and perhaps rush me into accepting a rig that isn't 100%. So I prefer to come to the bank with a number of rigs pre-tied.

I make two or three up before getting to the bank as the choice of bait may vary but come to dusk I make four up for the night as I'd rather not sit in the bivvy making rigs at 2am lol, I also think its worth while having a good play about with knots rigs and different lines whilst in the close season!!!

I tie all my rigs on the bank. The vast majority of the rigs i use are nothing more than a knotless knot to a hook at one end and a mahseer knot to a swivol at the other - quick and easy to tie. I'd rather carry a couple of spools of hooklink material and a few packets of hooks than loads of pre-tied rigs in wallets or rig bins.

I tie all my rigs on the bank. The vast majority of the rigs i use are nothing more than a knotless knot to a hook at one end and a mahseer knot to a swivol at the other - quick and easy to tie. I'd rather carry a couple of spools of hooklink material and a few packets of hooks than loads of pre-tied rigs in wallets or rig bins.

Ditto Mr Boyne. Something to do whilst one's blanking...and more easily carried :)

I generally find I have quite a lot of free time on the bank not catching so it's a useful way to pass the time. Plus, when I have not had even the slightest knock for hours, making up a rig, taking a pee or making a cuppa usually guarantees a bite-and a woefully late strike.

I used to tie them up in advance, and carry a rig box. One problem I found was I was forever changing my mind about the best to use on any particular day..length, hook size, hair length, braid or Fluoro etc that I never had what I wanted made up so I was forever making new ones up anyw

Now I generally tie up 2 rigs before I go out the tie others up as needed on the bank. I usually have 4 rigs on the go at any one time, two in the water and two baited up, soaking in a glug ready, to go.

Back