• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Marco Cortesi

Stuart I've read somewhere that it doesn't matter how well the reel spins, it's the amount of force required to overcome the reel's inertia (ie how much pull to make the drum turn) to get it turning in the first place that is the key.

Apparently reels can be compared by adding shot to the line until the drum starts to turn.

Last edited:
I have just received one of these reels and on first impressions i am impressed! i am also very impressed with the service from dragon carp as i only ordered the reel on tuesday!!! With most companies citing the weather for delays in delivery of goods i thought i would be waiting untill after christmas! what i cant work out is if dragon carp can get something out in two days why cant the rest of them??:D

I ordered 2 and received one a couple of days a go. It looks brilliant, spins nicely but possibly a tad heavy. We'll see once I've used it for a days trotting. Still its better than spending nearly 200 notes on a spare spool for my BJ lightweight though.

Just had mine this morning . First impression looks good and a real bargain for the price .
I see on the box the RRP is £99.99 and made in China . Just want to get on the river bank now and try it out .

Another vote of thanks to Sam for drawing our attention to this product.

I ordered 2 yesterday as well, never used a pin before. Really looking forward to it.

Recieved mine off santa this morning. What a bargin!!! :) Never owned a centrepin before, so looking forward to testing it out, and learning how to cast.

good things come to those who wait conrad :)

I believe that I told you the same thing on the banks of the Severn young Sam, hope it's going well for you in the world of engineering. I'd better practice what I preach and be patient, seems that I've been really unlucky.

Conrad

Recieved mine off santa this morning. What a bargin!!! :) Never owned a centrepin before, so looking forward to testing it out, and learning how to cast.

Well hopefully you will stick with it, we have been spoilt with the ease of use of fixed spools and these things can try your patience. I used my 'pin once or twice about 10 years ago, havn't used it since, but all this talk has got me spinning the thing and dousing it with 3in1:)

Just oiled mine up following George Lockhart's servicing instructions and it's a perpetual motion machine! Thanks George, hope your health improves soon.

Just oiled mine up following George Lockhart's servicing instructions and it's a perpetual motion machine! Thanks George, hope your health improves soon.

Mine only spins for 20 seconds, is that reasonable? Do you need a 24 hour rotation, and what about over-run?

bear in mind these reels are mass produced ,with little quality control ,so the "friday factor " takes effect ,therein reels made monday too thursday are relativly ok but reels made on fridays arn't .because instead of watching what they're doing ,the workers are watching the clock ! ,and we end up with ill fitted bearings ,and generally poorely assembled reels .

Do Chinese robots watch the clock?

Mine only spins for 20 seconds, is that reasonable? Do you need a 24 hour rotation, and what about over-run?

Have you tried turning the ratchet off, Neil!?:D

Seriously tho, if yours only spins for 20 secs, I'd send it back mate, as there is a problem!

I've handled four of these reels in the last week - and all have spun for over 2 minutes. In fact, it was nearer 3 minutes!

Now, this in itself doesn't really mean that much in the real world and can be misleading as regards quality of the bearing used. But it should spin better than 20 seconds that's for sure!

Regards,
Daz.

Have you tried turning the ratchet off, Neil!?:D

Seriously tho, if yours only spins for 20 secs, I'd send it back mate, as there is a problem!

I've handled four of these reels in the last week - and all have spun for over 2 minutes. In fact, it was nearer 3 minutes!

Now, this in itself doesn't really mean that much in the real world and can be misleading as regards quality of the bearing used. But it should spin better than 20 seconds that's for sure!

Regards,
Daz.

Ratchet wot's a ratchet?:p
Its not a cheapo Cortesi thing its Shakey Golden Eagle, :( It isn't bad quality at all, I have oiled the spindle and I have got 20 seconds free wheeling from a previous 12 or so so it's better, but nowwhere near the Italian /Chinese jobby.
Really though does a 2 minute spin cycle actually help?

Ratchet wot's a ratchet?:p
Its not a cheapo Cortesi thing its Shakey Golden Eagle, :( It isn't bad quality at all, I have oiled the spindle and I have got 20 seconds free wheeling from a previous 12 or so so it's better, but nowwhere near the Italian /Chinese jobby.
Really though does a 2 minute spin cycle actually help?

depends which cast you do. if you do the "bad one" i do that twists up your line so you need to scrap a few yards each time, but is as easy as casting a fixed spool then no. wallice cast/trotting its probably more important yeah.

Back