• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Merry Christmas, or chin up.

You never know what's round the corner.

Commiserations to Derek, David and Darren.

And to add another 'D' to the list....The Big C turned up on my doorstep this year. Surgery and 33 doses of radiotherapy has hopefully got rid of it.

Good riddance to 2014

Dave, I feel for you mate, and will add you to my list of folk to think of in quiet moments.

When I was talking to my wifes oncologist recently, he told me that cancer was on the increase in recent years, that it touches the lives of 3 out of 4 people in some way. I am not qualified to disagree with that, but I feel it has been wrecking families and destroying peoples lives on a regular basis for a long time, in my experience at least.

I had quite a small family, but of those I knew of I had two aunties who died of cancer, my mother suffered with a brain tumour, my father had prostate AND bladder cancer, my ex wife had breast cancer...and my eldest daughter survived a long battle with cervical cancer, only to finally succumb to breast cancer, bless her....and now my second wife has cancer.

If it's getting more common than that, then I sincerely hope that the government comes to it's senses and stops heaving billions of pounds every year into the insatiable EEC maw, and starts investing that money in cancer research. We really do need to put an end to this disgusting disease...and sooner rather than later.

Dave.

A thread like this offers up an enormous jolt of perspective, it really does. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose close family and friends. I always find it especially upsetting when it's a child- of whatever age. They are meant to out-live you. Christmas often feels like a very tired formula that I just plug into and allow auto-pilot to get me through to the other side. Whereas what I really need to do is switch on my filter- the one that allows me to sift through the shallow, the trite and the distorted sentimentality. Because I am lucky enough to have my close family around me, for a few days at least and that is something to treasure.

A toast to you chaps.

Howard, treasure every single second, because before you know it, something will be gone, whilst you,ve got the chance, go that extra yard, and create a memory that will live forever. Merry Christmas Howard. :)

Well guys, a number of the BFW fish ins over the years have contributed to the relief from this most vile of illnesses.

Take some comfort that many of us have tried to help in a small way.

Graham

Hi Phil, thanks for your encouraging words, appreciate it. The cancer my wife has is Non Hodgkin Lymphoma. Oddly enough, she too had a lump she was ignoring...why do women do that? Even I didn't know about it, and we have been married for over 40 years :eek:. However, we are staying optimistic that the chemo will help, although her being in her 70's doesn't improve things. We sure as hell aren't giving up yet though!

Cheers, Dave.

2014 has been a bad year for me too,diagnosed with stage 4 non Hodgkin lymphoma wife had skin cancer,and to top it off doctors said not to go fishing in case I get a infection.roll on 2015..

Derek, you done all you could do so dont feel guilty mate, chin up and push on,
use your misfortune to drive yourself to new heights mate:):)
Graham your right mate:) a few fish ins with bfw can work wonders, when i go on one now its gonna be awkward because of the oxygen but i can get a 48 hour bottle :eek: but going to have to build me muscles back up to shift the blighter:D:D

Back