• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Moon phase calender

Another element to the equation also may be.. if you believe in lunar influences you may be more inclined to actually go fishing/fish for longer/fish more 'unsocial hours' when you believe that 'lunar conditions are favourable'. Also, if one feels that 'lunar conditions are at their peak' then one may be inclined to fish harder (change swims, change bait, change rig etc) due to being 'sure' the fish are there and gagging for it?! So if you go more often at 'peak' times, and fish harder at those times, results AT those times could be better than average.
An example of "the observer always influences the experiment"??

Dunno...and I don't really give a bo**ox. I fish more days than I don't and nowt'll change that:)

Well nothing has been proved at all really, as I suspected, and nothing will, except what we need to do is trust what we already know, in that water temperatures, levels colour and air pressure all play a role in fish behaviour.

Of course moon phases might, but to suggest there is something actually in that theory is in my opinion just a bit far fetched and is probably a bit of a reason to not go fishing as opposed to going and catching despite what the moon phase tells us.

Give me an overcast mild evening with a bit of colour after some rain, couldn't care a less about the moon, and neither should you.:)

Come on Neil, just because you couldn't care less about moon phases doesn't mean you can tell everyone else not to as well! :D Your opinions, experiences and conclusions are yours, not everyone's. I am certain that lunar cycles play a part in conjunction with every other variable that nature inputs into a fishes' life and feeding habits.

Purely out of interest, I decided to take a look at Mike Anderson's site to see what it was about moon phases that he thought influenced the way fish feed. I must admit I was a bit disappointed in that he offered NO theories based on scientific facts.

Basically he says that his curiosity was piqued by other anglers claims on the subject, but that he had his doubts, so set about testing their theories. He did that by collating the results of his own angling returns during all phases of the moon for 18 months.

That's sounds fine...however I would suggest that it's not possible to prove a theory of that complexity one way or the other by examining one anglers results for 18 months....that is nowhere near enough data.

If I were him I would delve into scientific facts...and see if anything comes of that. For starters, the new and full moon phases he claims are so influential are also the times of our highest tides. The Earth, sun and moon are in line at those times, meaning that the gravitational pull of the other two bodies combine, resulting in a more powerful affect on the earth than at any other period. Something that is strong enough to cause the earth to look slightly elliptical (it's actually only the oceans bulging on opposite sides of the earth simultaneously) absolutely must have at least some effect on any other body of liquid/fluid too....how can it not?

As we are all aware, the main sensory system of our fish is their lateral line. That lateral line consists of a number of sensors dotted along the lateral canal. They can detect mechanical differences in.....guess what? The WATER in the subcutaneous lateral canal. Man, we could build all sorts of theories based on those facts :D:D. Wadaya reckon Neil? :D:D

Cheers, Dave :D

Come on Neil, just because you couldn't care less about moon phases doesn't mean you can tell everyone else not to as well! :D Your opinions, experiences and conclusions are yours, not everyone's. I am certain that lunar cycles play a part in conjunction with every other variable that nature inputs into a fishes' life and feeding habits.

I wasn't really telling anyone that they shouldn't fish just suggesting they should not worry about such mumbo jumbo, sorry can't resist:rolleyes:.
Besides all this fear of upsetting someone because they have a crackpot theory , will get us nowhere , look at history regarding our sport, someone somewhere thought it was a good idea to release American Cray's into rivers , then Otter, and now of course Beaver, so I guess the Wolf would fit nicely with a full moon backdrop.
Someone somewhere should have said shut up and sit down!!:p

I quite like the humour there Neil :D

Quite saddened that you didn't take my bait earlier though, lol.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave,
I was fishing 'till dusk, and you know the problems our generation have with tablets and the like,:rolleyes: but you make a very good point, regarding lateral lines, who knows the extent of biological 'technology' that we don't begin to understand in it's entirety.
As far as the fishing is concerned, not sure if I was supposed to go or not yesterday, but it was warm and overcast, and all species were attacking my pellet hook bait with gusto, but the Barbel have yet to show on the lower river, but happy to report the Avon is teeming with life.
Anyway I hope you are limbering up for the big event, now Murray's out you must be feeling the pressure :)

Purely out of interest, I decided to take a look at Mike Anderson's site to see what it was about moon phases that he thought influenced the way fish feed. I must admit I was a bit disappointed in that he offered NO theories based on scientific facts.

Basically he says that his curiosity was piqued by other anglers claims on the subject, but that he had his doubts, so set about testing their theories. He did that by collating the results of his own angling returns during all phases of the moon for 18 months.

That's sounds fine...however I would suggest that it's not possible to prove a theory of that complexity one way or the other by examining one anglers results for 18 months....that is nowhere near enough data.

If I were him I would delve into scientific facts...and see if anything comes of that. For starters, the new and full moon phases he claims are so influential are also the times of our highest tides. The Earth, sun and moon are in line at those times, meaning that the gravitational pull of the other two bodies combine, resulting in a more powerful affect on the earth than at any other period. Something that is strong enough to cause the earth to look slightly elliptical (it's actually only the oceans bulging on opposite sides of the earth simultaneously) absolutely must have at least some effect on any other body of liquid/fluid too....how can it not?

As we are all aware, the main sensory system of our fish is their lateral line. That lateral line consists of a number of sensors dotted along the lateral canal. They can detect mechanical differences in.....guess what? The WATER in the subcutaneous lateral canal. Man, we could build all sorts of theories based on those facts :D:D. Wadaya reckon Neil? :D:D

Good post Dave. Not sure if anyone's really out to prove lunar influence or not, though I guess Chris Lyons had a good go. Archie Braddock also was a big follower of the moon. Not literally, at least I don't think he was!:) As many have said, if you see good results from various moon phases you're likely to believe there may be something in it. If you dismiss it out of hand without doing any research on your own results at all, then that's as silly as believing it without any evidence.

Neil, I'm sure the first person to say the Earth wasn't flat was told to "sit down and shut up" :D

Good post Dave. Not sure if anyone's really out to prove lunar influence or not, though I guess Chris Lyons had a good go. Archie Braddock also was a big follower of the moon. Not literally, at least I don't think he was!:) As many have said, if you see good results from various moon phases you're likely to believe there may be something in it. If you dismiss it out of hand without doing any research on your own results at all, then that's as silly as believing it without any evidence.

Neil, I'm sure the first person to say the Earth wasn't flat was told to "sit down and shut up" :D

But not to sit on the edge of the world swinging their legs in space Alex...now that would be scary :D

Cheers, Dave.

Maybe we should try it on the likes of the Kennet and Avon or Leeds/Liverpool canals:)

Stephen

Back