• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Avon rod- advice please

I've heard good things about these rods, but must admit the price did put me off as I thought perhaps they were too cheap...

What's the action like?

Softish through the top 2/3rds Joe, but not sloppy, bit of poke in the lower 3rd, very nice. Pricewise, i think the reason they are so cheap is something to do with the way the blanks were sourced ??,they could easily sell them for £70/£80. I was told to buy them by a mate so i got two,as soon as i got them i ordered a third to go in the loft as a spare. Three very good rods for less than £120, biggest no brainer out there imo. They do more powerful ones too.

Cheers Simon,

I have been coveting a pair of Chimera Avons, but 3 DVS's for 60% of the cost of one rod does, as you say, make it seem like a complete no brainer. Particularly as the rods will in the shed for 8-9 months of the years.

And actually a third ready rigged rod on hand could be quite advantageous for making the most of that very short winter twilight period when the perch really switch on and time is of the essence and accidental c@rp has just played havoc with the rig on one rod...

Cheers Simon,

I have been coveting a pair of Chimera Avons, but 3 DVS's for 60% of the cost of one rod does, as you say, make it seem like a complete no brainer. Particularly as the rods will in the shed for 8-9 months of the years.

And actually a third ready rigged rod on hand could be quite advantageous for making the most of that very short winter twilight period when the perch really switch on and time is of the essence and accidental c@rp has just played havoc with the rig on one rod...

Don't you just love that !! its generally little jack pike in my case destrying everything when you have one of those golden 15 minute spells :mad:

With me it's usually a hook pinging out of a good fish as I'm trying to get it near the net and the line making the only nasty tangle of the day either wrapping round the rod or in the bankside foliage. Tying new hooklengths in the half light is no fun.
Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated.
It's now a toss up between the Drennan or one of the Harrisons, the thought of paying out £200 for a rod is a bit daunting but on my club website there's a discussion about poles at the moment and the cost of these is truly staggering, makes the Harrisons seem good value.

Back