• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new landing net

Modern trends? I'm still using a Salmon tailer , portable , easier to poke through the undergrowth , no pesky net to snag up , ideal ! ;):)

Modern trends? I'm still using a Salmon tailer , portable , easier to poke through the undergrowth , no pesky net to snag up , ideal ! ;):)

Does it work for Tommy's as well Mike ?

Unofficial owner of the biggest little red and yellow car in the world

Nooo . For the smaller species , the tailer or even the gaff are a little awkward to use . I tend to go for the cane handled crabbing or rock pool net : quick dry mesh [ just a quick swish in the breeze ] eco friendly handle[ bamboo] , and readily available at any seaside emporium for a shilling or two :)

Mmmm Noddy? What is that exactly? Is it an angler that is slightly naive of the modern trends, or perhaps he doesn't care about being up there and 'on trend' prefers to do it his or her way....and so he just might choose a triangle net because it folds down, and hey you can actually store it in a quiver thingy.:rolleyes:

Hi Neil, a 'Noddy' is a person who uses a landing net with a plastic spreader block mate, as in the Fox one :D

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Neil, a 'Noddy' is a person who uses a landing net with a plastic spreader block mate, as in the Fox one :D

Cheers, Dave.

Oh! Thanks for clearing that up Dave , I have TWO Fox spreaders, bought one as Ithought I lost the original, and then immediately found it:rolleyes:

Actually I could do with a more pointers as to what one should avoid if one wishes not to be branded with the N word.

I do worry a bit about my aluminium bank sticks should I paint them black, or is that worse?

Any other tips?:confused:

I have to admit I'm a bit of a landing net tart, as to be large mesh size in latex, fixed spreader block..ie good solid in plastic no maker preferred

.....handle, now we're talking I'm a drennan user

If you want to argue, I'm up for it.

Lush, should you be working? apparently I'm off me head on dope according to one of the site's know it all's

Truth is it's something stronger than that...not Stella!:D

Neil, the best way to avoid being classified as a noddy is to make sure the headwear aint got a bell on it and sack any mates that are called big ears,
apart from from getting the drowsy condition from fishing on
yer own wiv nobody to talk to:D:D or in other words be just like me mate:D:D

Jason me old cheese, i'm having a bit of easy time, getting too old for all that 40 hr nonesense, don't need to do it so i'm not :) Yes i saw the weed comments, surprised they were allowed to stand to be honest, but hay ho, one rule and all that.

That net pole, does it stick by any chance ? :) I tried one of those Gardner ones last year, first time i screwed a block into it the end fell off !!! Oh well back to the old faithful :)

Unofficial owner of the biggest little red and yellow car in the world.

If anyone is interested in a really strong very fish friendly stalking net the McLeans sea trout weighnet other than its short handlel it cannot be beaten. Unlike the Fox, the quality is unrivalled. It's called a weighnet as it has a balance built into the handle. Not suitable for tight wads!

If anyone is interested in a really strong very fish friendly stalking net the McLeans sea trout weighnet other than its short handlel it cannot be beaten. Unlike the Fox, the quality is unrivalled. It's called a weighnet as it has a balance built into the handle. Not suitable for tight wads!

This is a windup, right?

As much as I prefer to use a spoon net, they are a bit of a pain to transport when a long hike and plenty of foliage are encountered. So I'm hoping to give the Korum 28" folding triangular net a bit of a workout tomorrow on the glorious river Wye. Hope I haven't jinxed myself now, with a blank and a shattered spreader block :D.

Well, didn't blank and the nets still intact.Was glad of it when it came to negotiating the overgrown brambles etc, but fishing from a high bank the 28" net seemed a small target to aim the fisk at, but that might have been down to my ageing eyesight.

Bought the Diawa Mission one lasted 30 seconds luckily at home first assembly saw the arms smash at the base. Might have to re-read this thread.

I bought a 30 Plus one last year. Can't remember the size but it was about 30/32", has good mesh that works in the flow and very strong looking spreader. Must have been reasonably priced otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, no way I'd pay £40 for a landing net.

Was that the camo net Lee by any chance?

These are really good, especially the magnet system which keeps the mesh tucked away until needed.

Wychwood Specimen Quickfold Landing Net Heads in Landing Nets | Fishtec

Been using one for over a year now, BUT it seems there has been a problem with a factory worker or machine going astray with the stitching and I've had to exchange THREE with the shop until I got a goodun. Isolated incident possibly but have a good look at the stitching before parting with the hard earned. This is the problem,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghj2s7j3yk1tl6j/2015-07-25 16.59.00.jpg?dl=0

Full marks to Colney tackle and Wychwood for handling the problem fairly, Colney tackle are a really good shop very close to junction 24 on the M25.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=colney+tackle&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=BCn0VYSXE4zTU_TTpRg

I have one of the wychwood nets and have endless problems with the arm being a loose fit in the spreader block. This has resulted in the net collapsing at the critical moment. I have had to bodge a fix by adding tape to the arm. This is almost a very good net but my quest for a quality landing net for barbel fishing goes on.

Steve

Back