• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New rigs,,New ideas??

Craig Wood

Hi everyone
Well its nearly here again..roll on the 16th june!!!..Am i the only sad, boring person who spends hours if not days and months thinking of new rigs,new baits,new venues or new swims etc during the closed season?:eek:..Well ive had a good idea for a safe backlead..The idea is as follows...3 to 4 beads up the line with plastercine wrapped around them..It will move freely up/down the line but more importantly if it should get stuck in weed or snagged it will come apart or change shape with pressure applied when snagged...Does anyone else have any new ideas that they are happy to share???:):)

hi craig, ive been using a similar idea to pin my hooklink down using a small rubber float stop either side of an olivette, this can be moved up and down the hooklink without damaging it, i also use a small rubber float stop on the hair when using large pre drilled pellets to hold them in place, the float stop goes on first then pellet then fox pellet peg..paul...

Craig, I have been using plasticine as a backlead for a number of years, getting the idea from Trefor West when I attended one of his guided days on the teme. It does pull off readilly and prevents snagging, I am not sure what help the beads would be, I find it much better to semi fix backleads on rivers, don't see the use of them flying, the beads are just adding something which may catch in a snag.

I have been thinking an awful lot about trying to emulate an approach I have used with tench to some success rig wise and will certainly carry on further down the route of pinning EVERYTHING down and breaking up solid lines as far as possible.

I was thinking wire trace and treble hooks, lets see them escape me then!!

That is SOooo last year...I am thinking dynamite depth charges in a geometric pattern this year, triggered by electronic proximity sensors. I would of course leave the carcass on the hook, so that the second set of charges was ready for any cormorant or otter that came to investigate :D

Cheers, Dave.

beads?

Hi ian
Im using beads with the plastercine because i want a low resistance rig, so the backlead will need to move..That said if i was making a big cast then yes i have the backlead semi-fixed..But alot of the swims ile be fishing ile have the bait no more than a rod length off the bank..:)

Back