• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New rods.

David Gauntlett

Hi guys,

There have been quite a few threads recently from people wanting advice about 'What new rod?' they should buy.............lord knows how many of these there have been over the years, including some of mine :D

Now I don't blame people wanting/asking for advice on this subject, as I say, I have asked this myself, on more than one occasion, but there are those on here who knock or criticise others for asking....I will even admit to having a moan myself if the board is particularly dull. But, the fact is, these are valid questions.

Another problem can be that sometimes the well intentioned advice proffered is not as helpful as it seems, often consisting of things like 'Go to a shop and have a look'....'You can't beat having a waggle in a shop'....'Borrow a mates and try the feel of it'....and so on.

Now, this may be sound advice for those who have had zillions of rods over the years (judging by a past thread on 'how many rods have you got', that includes most of you nutters on here :D ) but is not so helpful for others. You guys have learned over the years of trying (and using in anger) a multitude of rods in all price brackets just exactly what you want...and can 'feel' if it is right fairly quickly.

However, for the likes of the more restrained (skint :p) amongst us, who have only ever owned a few rods in a lifetime of fishing, it doesn't help a lot. Put simply, some of us have put up with whatever we could afford for our entire lives, and consequently may read with envy the quotes of folk extolling the virtues of such and such 'dream' rod, but wouldn't know what it actually felt like to 'waggle', let alone play a fish on such a tool if it jumped up and bit us.

Hence the question "What rod do you recommend for....(whatever it is they require)'. You see, us mere mortals are relying on/asking for the help of you lovely lot with the cash and experience who KNOW just exactly what a 'dream players rod', or whatever is wanted....is, and what it feels like.

Having a 'feel' or a 'waggle' or playing with your mates rod (Oooo-er missus :p) just won't cut it if you don't know what you are 'feeling' for :D:D

We know we want the best within our means, and that we can't afford to make a mistake......but that's all we know.....hence the plees for help :D

Cheers, Dave

Of course the problem with recommendations from owners of rods or anything come to that is that we are unlikely to be anything but enthusiastic for our very astute purchase:)

Of course the problem with recommendations from owners of rods or anything come to that is that we are unlikely to be anything but enthusiastic for our very astute purchase:)

Sadly, very true Neil :p

However, the guys who REALLY know their stuff on this subject are far less prone to this understandable human failing. Those are the ones I would hope for and look out for in replies to these questions....you have to switch on the 'fan-boy' filter for the others :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I must confess i fell victim to readers comments - not that im complaining over the years and reading many of these threads one of the most common response's is "Buy A Harrison you wont regret it" I eventually plumped for a harrison interceptor but i never really compared it or tested against other rods at the time. Regards Jeff

Good point Jeff, almost everyone and their auntie recommends a Harrison of some type...but is that because it has attained cult status, or are they REALLY noticeably better/nicer whatever than any other rods available today?

Do they cast better/play fish better/do ANYTHING better than 'ordinary' rods? What exactly is it that gave them that cult status? Is it just that people have convinced themselves that if they cost that much, they must be the best...then having paid out all that cash are reluctant to admit that actually, they preferred the rod they had before.....or certainly can't understand what all the fuss was about?

I would love to hear the truth on that one, if people are willing to admit their disappointment....or if indeed they ARE as good as some claim ;)

Cheers, Dave.

Dave

I paid £180 for my X-flite and woudn't recommend them to others, i also have a few £50/60 wychwoods would I'd recommend in an instant oh and my Harrison rods well there OK:p:)

Good point Jeff, almost everyone and their auntie recommends a Harrison of some type...but is that because it has attained cult status, or are they REALLY noticeably better/nicer whatever than any other rods available today?

Do they cast better/play fish better/do ANYTHING better than 'ordinary' rods? What exactly is it that gave them that cult status? Is it just that people have convinced themselves that if they cost that much, they must be the best...then having paid out all that cash are reluctant to admit that actually, they preferred the rod they had before.....or certainly can't understand what all the fuss was about?

I would love to hear the truth on that one, if people are willing to admit their disappointment....or if indeed they ARE as good as some claim ;)

Cheers, Dave.

Good post Dave, i also, would like to hear peoples opinions.

Stephen

Dave,

I have a couple of Hexagraphs that i bought some 10 years ago and they are just amazing rods to play Barbel on in open water with a centre pin.

Also have a Drennan Power Barblel that i use when the river has a bit of water on its ok bit of a broom handle as far as im concerned but it does the job

But i bought a Wychwood Rapier Barbel on here from a fellow member to use while my Hexagraph was being repaired and i agree with Mark they are really very good rods for the money.

Also have a Fox Barbel Float that looks the part but does not deliver so i use a Drennan Tench Float instead and that does deliver amazing rod

Dave

Good point Dave, and I am very much an advocate of putting aside status and looking at what I believe is the best for me. To which I must say that as far as barbel rods in relation to what they do and feel in the hand then I reckon Wychwood take some beating, I have the rapier but prefer the 1.5 Wychwood Extremis, now discontinued sadly, it is a remarkable blank, but I am sure we all,have our favourites for whatever reasons.
And as far as reels go the Extremis 4000 front drag as strong and as smooth as you would want for barbel, although a bit too much chrome:)

Dave

I paid £180 for my X-flite and woudn't recommend them to others, i also have a few £50/60 wychwoods would I'd recommend in an instant oh and my Harrison rods well there OK:p:)

Mark, do those smilies signify that you find your Harrison rods better than the others? Or not?

Cheers, Dave.

Back