• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Shimano X- Aero Baitrunners

I didn't like the XT4000FA. As previously mentioned, ridiculously flimsy bail arm which cancelled out the pleasure of the excellent clutch.

The sooner they bring back the 5000 size the better though. The 4000 just don't balance barbel rods for me.

HEEEEELLLLOOOO Anyone from Shimano looking in ? Your missing a gap in the market here. Big demand for a 5000 sized reel. If you need a guinea pig to test a free sample, i,m your man. :D:D:D

Having looked at images of the 'new' reel I still think it's a tarted up XT4000FA. Yes the spool is a larger diameter, and the flyer obviously has to be to match, but the stated standard line capacity is the same, the weight is the same, the gear ratio is the same, the bail arm looks to be the same thin construction, etc. To me, a blatant excuse to appeal to the tackle tarts and hike the price by another £30!

I own, and use, pairs of the 3500B and the XT4000FA, both good reels and far superior clutch to the old rear drag models.

I didn't like the XT4000FA. As previously mentioned, ridiculously flimsy bail arm which cancelled out the pleasure of the excellent clutch.

The sooner they bring back the 5000 size the better though. The 4000 just don't balance barbel rods for me.

I thought the 4000D spool was bigger than say a 5000xtea??
I have a pair of 4000D and yes it may have a flimsy bail arm, but never really noticed it, for me its just a very good reel imo.
Keeping with the topic, take a look at the shim thunnus in 4000 size. Not for sale here but everywhere else. Ci4 composite body, palladin uprated gearing plus a more solid bail arm.... and with the USD exchange excellent value for money.

For a size comparison, here is a 5000B spool with the 4000 X-AERO spool.

spool-1000205_zpsd6f8f25e.jpg~original

spool-1000206_zps970f8aac.jpg~original

Jason

Back