• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Night fishing.

What can be boring as anglers to consider that?

Neil,

You have missed the point. The standard of debate has become boring.

Regards,

Hugo

What can be boring as anglers to consider that?

Neil,

You have missed the point. The standard of debate has become boring.

Regards,

Hugo

Well at least some effort was made to debate, and with humour and perhaps some barbed comments at times.

But what I find depressing is those that add nothing and yet sneer at the sheer boredom of it all. Is it any wonder forums are in decline?

Perhaps we all should retire to face book or twitter where the one liners are the norm.

No Twatter for me thanks Neil , give me BFW anytime :D We all get impassioned at times about subjects we feel strongly about , remember the dreaded otter threads ? Humour can really spice up a debate it's only when it gets personal and petty like the silliness that always ensues whenever the BS is mentioned then it really does get boring .On this thread the points that were being argued were interesting , and still could be , so lets get on with it .
As for petty debates and point scoring just tune in to any commons debate and you will see what a really poor debate sounds like . Listened to the chancellors statement or whatever it was today ,they were having a pop at each others hairstyles for pity's sake . That does leave me despairing

Well at least some effort was made to debate, and with humour and perhaps some barbed comments at times.

But what I find depressing is those that add nothing and yet sneer at the sheer boredom of it all. Is it any wonder forums are in decline?

Perhaps we all should retire to face book or twitter where the one liners are the norm.

Neil,

I respect your opinion and do not mean in any way to denigrate you. I am surprised that you took my post so personally. I bear you no malice and enjoy your contributions to BFW. I just feel that we sometimes get bogged down in minutiae.

Fond regards,

Hugo

Hi men,

Neil , your comment about the Facebook one liners made me smile , because that describes it perfectly . I'm a avid user of Facebook , joined lots of pages , but other than when full blown rows are going on it's just normally "here's what I caught " , "well done ", well done " etc . I love it really , you can throw stones in the water , see how far the ripples reach :D , but debates don't flow , and stop quickly as a new post pops up . It has it's place for sure , impacts on sites with forums , but I still jump on here !.

Obviously all the mods follow threads , but do we want sterile threads ?, I don't think so . People know there are limits they should not overstep , and even if it goes slightly over them sometimes it's best not to be trigger happy as things often pull themselves round as debate goes on !.

Back to the thread , night fishing ?, ban it !!!! ( another stone hitting the water :D ) , no seriously if people want to fish into dark a bit , fish through the night , bivvy up with buzzers , good luck to them , it's all fishing :p

Hatter

Hi men,

Back to the thread , night fishing ?, ban it !!!! ( another stone hitting the water :D ) , no seriously if people want to fish into dark a bit , fish through the night , bivvy up with buzzers , good luck to them , it's all fishing :p

Hatter

Fortunately some clubs do not allow the use of bivvies or hogging a swim for 24hrs.

We are fishing for barbel, which is an active way of catching fish unlike sleeping on a chair waiting for some unfortunate named carp to be self hooked and photographed yet again.

So sad,,,,,,,

Neil,

I respect your opinion and do not mean in any way to denigrate you. I am surprised that you took my post so personally. I bear you no malice and enjoy your contributions to BFW. I just feel that we sometimes get bogged down in minutiae.

Fond regards,

Hugo

No offence taken Hugo, I posted without much consideration, I do that a fair bit:eek:
Right,off to look up minutiae :)

Hi men,

Neil , your comment about the Facebook one liners made me smile , because that describes it perfectly . I'm a avid user of Facebook , joined lots of pages , but other than when full blown rows are going on it's just normally "here's what I caught " , "well done ", well done " etc . I love it really , you can throw stones in the water , see how far the ripples reach :D , but debates don't flow , and stop quickly as a new post pops up . It has it's place for sure , impacts on sites with forums , but I still jump on here !.

Obviously all the mods follow threads , but do we want sterile threads ?, I don't think so . People know there are limits they should not overstep , and even if it goes slightly over them sometimes it's best not to be trigger happy as things often pull themselves round as debate goes on !.

Hatter

Hi Mark hope you are all well, I don't want to ban night fishing, bit I sincerely think that it is detrimental in smaller rivers, and really I believe any angler worth his or her salt might cut me some slack on that one.

Ok I appreciate the fishing into dark is a magic experience and I do, and but all nighters and bivvied up with buzzers is about as far away from what I believe river fishing is all about than anything else. It seems that the step over from carp to barbel is a bit of a leap for some, so I understand why this is done.

I don't think you will find reference to all nighters with Mr Crabtree and Peter would you?

That would have been frowned upon.

Fortunately some clubs do not allow the use of bivvies or hogging a swim for 24hrs.

We are fishing for barbel, which is an active way of catching fish unlike sleeping on a chair waiting for some unfortunate named carp to be self hooked and photographed yet again.

So sad,,,,,,,

Well I never. Ian, tell me....this rule book, the one which both Neil and yourself seem to have a copy of, the one which states that your personal idea of what constitutes fishing is definitely, absolutely the only correct one, and presumably states that you have a right to label anyone whose ideas differ from yours as being 'sad'....where do I view a copy of that? Only, I would love to know who the author was. Wasn't a fat little bloke called Chairman Mao was it? It's not a sort of, well, a little red book by any chance is it? Just wondered.

Cheers, Dave.

Well I never. Ian, tell me....this rule book, the one which both Neil and yourself seem to have a copy of, the one which states that your personal idea of what constitutes fishing is definitely, absolutely the only correct one, and presumably states that you have a right to label anyone whose ideas differ from yours as being 'sad'....where do I view a copy of that? Only, I would love to know who the author was. Wasn't a fat little bloke called Chairman Mao was it? It's not a sort of, well, a little red book by any chance is it? Just wondered.

Cheers, Dave.

Dave,

The rules apply to the Royal Tunbridge Wells Angling Society, not The little red book. I did not make the rules about bivvies and hogging swims.

If anglers want to merely fish for barbel as if they were fishing for carp, many have come to barbel fishing from that 'activity', then that is there privilege, although one such 'angler' did take over a weirpool with four rods!, of course I could raise no objection.

It is obviously a matter of choice but if you have never held the rod and felt the twitches through your fingers before the rod bends round then you have not really night fished.

Of course this is only my humble opinion based on fifty years experience and enjoyment of night fishing.

Best wishes.

Hugo

Dave,

The rules apply to the Royal Tunbridge Wells Angling Society, not The little red book. I did not make the rules about bivvies and hogging swims.

If anglers want to merely fish for barbel as if they were fishing for carp, many have come to barbel fishing from that 'activity', then that is there privilege, although one such 'angler' did take over a weirpool with four rods!, of course I could raise no objection.

It is obviously a matter of choice but if you have never held the rod and felt the twitches through your fingers before the rod bends round then you have not really night fished.

Of course this is only my humble opinion based on fifty years experience and enjoyment of night fishing.

Best wishes.

Hugo,

You cannot seriously believe that I have never experienced touch legering? I held a Thames weir pool license 40+ years ago, and fished the Windrush, the Wey and numerous other rivers for barbel, chub and roach for many years. During that time, ALL my river fishing on the lead (including the roach) was touch legering. Were it not for certain bodily issues, I would be fishing that method a lot of the time even now.

However....I also love my carp fishing, although I have not been able to do that in the way I enjoy for a number of years. The point that many elitist anglers fail (or refuse) to accept is that in many traditional, low stock carp lakes, you would be lucky to average one bite a day...in some extreme fisheries you might only experience one or two bites in a month. Are you seriously suggesting that these guys should sit touch legering for that length of time, with those expectations? The bivvie, the boilie and electronic bite alarms were originally designed for one reason and one reason only...to allow those that fished for carp the time on the bank to give them a realistic chance of catching one.

My all time favourite carp lake was fished by a bunch of nutters whose best average was ten, yes TEN fish in a year...and they were serious, skilled and dedicated fishermen who fished every week of the year, sometimes spending all their holidays on the lake to boot. The methods you and others decry ARE legitimate methods, in those circumstances. More to the point, they are also legitimate methods AT ANY TIME...if they are the methods an angler chooses to use...they have the right, within the law, and providing they exercise respect for the fish, other anglers and their environment, to fish how they choose. They do NOT need your, or any other persons approval to do that. Live and let live Huge, allow others the freedom of choice you enjoy, without fear of ridicule and abuse.

Cheers, Dave.

We'll the first thing that has to be said is that it's not ridicule and abuse, it's just a conversation. Second thing is it's just fishing. It's a kind of magic (that's a song by … aw can't remember). Third thing (or is it the fourth thing? (can't remember ) is that the with thing I want to say is why argue about it? Take it easy (that's a song by the Eagles written by Jackson Browne). The FINAL thing is it could be a wonderful Moonlight nichct or a glorious sunny July afternoon. And I could be fishing for Roach or dace or barbel. The final thing is that.

It's a gentle easy going craft.

personally i loved going night fishing for over 45 years or more, i love the sounds of the night, the peacefulness and serenity, warm balmy nights just leaning or laying back enjoying the peace and being on the bank ready to fish when my instincts tell me too, unfortunately because of medical reasons i cant do this no more unless i am with somebody but to others i say i find nothing more enjoyable than the satisfaction and peace and watching/listening to the nights activities:):):), its not everyones preference but it is mine, honestly fishing at night is only part of the pleasure but as others have put it so well theres more than one reason why night fishing has its benefits:)

Hugo,

You cannot seriously believe that I have never experienced touch legering? I held a Thames weir pool license 40+ years ago, and fished the Windrush, the Wey and numerous other rivers for barbel, chub and roach for many years. During that time, ALL my river fishing on the lead (including the roach) was touch legering. Were it not for certain bodily issues, I would be fishing that method a lot of the time even now.

However....I also love my carp fishing, although I have not been able to do that in the way I enjoy for a number of years. The point that many elitist anglers fail (or refuse) to accept is that in many traditional, low stock carp lakes, you would be lucky to average one bite a day...in some extreme fisheries you might only experience one or two bites in a month. Are you seriously suggesting that these guys should sit touch legering for that length of time, with those expectations? The bivvie, the boilie and electronic bite alarms were originally designed for one reason and one reason only...to allow those that fished for carp the time on the bank to give them a realistic chance of catching One

My all time favourite carp lake was fished by a bunch of nutters whose best average was ten, yes TEN fish in a year...and they were serious, skilled and dedicated fishermen who fished every week of the year, sometimes spending all their holidays on the lake to boot. The methods you and others decry ARE legitimate methods, in those circumstances. More to the point, they are also legitimate methods AT ANY TIME...if they are the methods an angler chooses to use...they have the right, within the law, and providing they exercise respect for the fish, other anglers and their environment, to fish how they choose. They do NOT need your, or any other persons approval to do that. Live and let live Huge, allow others the freedom of choice you enjoy, without fear of ridicule and abuse.

Cheers, Dave.

Dave,

I was writing about fishing for barbel at night when I just happen to prefer touch legering at which you are probably more skilled than I.

When it comes to fishing for carp I have very little experience of the waters you mention but would use everything possible to make my stay on the bank comfortable and productive. One of my closest friends recently had a very long and productive session after carp using the latest tackle and techniques. I learn a lot from him.

Best wishes

Hugo

Dave,

I was writing about fishing for barbel at night when I just happen to prefer touch legering at which you are probably more skilled than I.

When it comes to fishing for carp I have very little experience of the waters you mention but would use everything possible to make my stay on the bank comfortable and productive. One of my closest friends recently had a very long and productive session after carp using the latest tackle and techniques. I learn a lot from him.

Best wishes

Hugo

I know Hugo, I know. You and I have never met, but through these boards and the private communications we have shared we know (and I hope respect) each other well enough to understand that there is nothing personal in this. We are debating the concept, the ideas that are the result of the different experiences that have shaped what we are and how we think.

I am a miserable old git, tis true...but what can you expect from someone who counts Victor Meldrew as his hero. We are all individuals, and there are invariably some pretty good reasons which make us react the way we do...and I am no exception to that. Cynical I think is the word I am working around to here :D

So, best wishes to you too dear chap. I would suggest you do not rush out to buy the carp gear just yet though, I may have some going cheap soon if things don't improve :D:D

Take care mate,

Dave.

Great thread this, I actually love all the differing opinions and views. It's natural to assume your own opinion has the most going for it otherwise we wouldn't hold those opinions. I guess it's a bit like football. We all scream blue murder when our team isn't awarded a dubious penalty and scream blue murder when one is awarded against us! :D

Exactly so Alex. In every aspect of life, I am constantly screaming 'We wuz robbed' :D:D

Sadly, these days, that is probably true anyway. With the criminals in pinstripe suits we call politicians running the country, we are all going to be robbed blind from day one :p

Cheers, Dave.

I know Hugo, I know. You and I have never met, but through these boards and the private communications we have shared we know (and I hope respect) each other well enough to understand that there is nothing personal in this. We are debating the concept, the ideas that are the result of the different experiences that have shaped what we are and how we think.

I am a miserable old git, tis true...but what can you expect from someone who counts Victor Meldrew as his hero. We are all individuals, and there are invariably some pretty good reasons which make us react the way we do...and I am no exception to that. Cynical I think is the word I am working around to here :D

So, best wishes to you too dear chap. I would suggest you do not rush out to buy the carp gear just yet though, I may have some going cheap soon if things don't improve :D:D

Take care mate,

Dave.

Dave,

I am also a curmudgeon, thus my nom de plume, Hugo Curgudgeon.

Many thanks for your kind offer.

Fond regards,

Hugo

Night fishing for Barbel

We all know its very common for carp anglers to fish for a couple days or weekend at a time. My carp obsessed pals reckon that more often than not the bite alarms will go off in the night rather than the day. I can't help but notice how much river activity picks up at dusk.
However I've never actually considered fishing the river bank overnight before, I have stayed well into darkness before with plenty of success.
Anyone on here got any experience of overnight fishing for barbel?

Hi James,
Well regards night fishing for Barbel I was for some years an avid Barbel angler fishing only the river Trent for them to be honest so I can only speak for that particular river.
I fished the tidal and non tidal and in the wiers especailly, I've had over 150 doubles to my tally over this time and to be honest from just going into dark till midnight I found the most productive.
After midnight it sort of went quiet for the most part with just the odd fish from time to time.
Basically the norm of first three hours of dark and last three hours of dark I found the best time, with in between hours usefull for getting some rest ready for the morning.
It differs slightly actually in the wiers when night time was slightly better.
Hope this helps! :)

Back