• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Normark Avenger 3000

Howard Cooke

Hi folks,
I recently purchased a Normark Titan 2000 in exquisite condition and intend to use it for general river float work. Initially, I had it in mind that this might also do for barbel but based on the research I have carried out so far, this may not be the ideal tool if one were to specifically target barbel. There are other more modern power float rods around, but I quite like these older "classics" and so was wondering if anyone had thoughts/experience based on the Normark Avenger 3000 as something a little more fit for purpose?

Many thanks.

Drennan Tench mk1 or 2 is gonna get mentioned a lot excellent.

I've used a drennan drx carp waggler in the past to trot for barbel , quite a versatile tool too as it didn't really spoil the fight from the smaller species without feeling undergunned

Thanks Clive and Stuart. I was mainly looking to see if anyone had experience of the Normark Avenger and specifically as a contrast to the Titan. Will keep your suggestions in mind however.

I have a normark titan 2000, its at home catching silvers all day or bullying small carp, but as you would never use it for barbel. The avenger 3000 is masterlines answer to the 2000 range, its not as good but the rods are superb, i could go on but id be here all evening, but one thing I will say is the 2000 range are probably the best match rods ever produced and will probably be never surpassed.
Anyway the answer to your avenger 3000 is it will probably be ok and you can lay a lot of force down too, but only in use will you find out, but I wouldnt call it a power rod, its just a Titan with some more backbone.

Howard, I've got an Avenger II and had some Wye barbel on it just a couple,of weeks ago. With 6lb line it's superbly balanced and had no trouble landing them. Not sure how this rod relates to the Titan though ?

Jon/Cliff, thanks for your replies-most helpful. I think I will keep a look out for an Avenger on eBay and maybe take a punt on one. Cliff, I think the Titan is reputed to be a fantastic match/float rod and whilst capable of dealing with a barbel, that's not its forte.

I wouldn't use a 3000. This rod bought about the end of the old Normark. MD of Normark tried to go it alone without Geoff Salisbury and blew it with the 3000 series. Far to stiff and locks like hell. 2000 series fantastic. Older Avengers are good barbel rods or see if you can find a Normark Specimen Float.

Thanks Andrew. Did the Avenger II come before the 3000 and if so do you know how this compares to the Avenger 2000?

Many thanks.

Don't want to pinch your thread Howard, but whilst people are looking at this......

Does anyone know what size length handle and the Bore width for a new one is on the original (I think) full cork handled microlite 13' (with red whippings and old reel fittings) RNMM 156-3

Cheers

Graham

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew. Did the Avenger II come before the 3000 and if so do you know how this compares to the Avenger 2000?

Many thanks.

I think it came after as my association with Normark must of ended as I am not familiar with it. As already posted the 2000 is the best mass produced match/float rod ever made. If the Avenger 2 superseded the 3000 it would be a Chinese product

Andrew, can you put a date to it, my Avenger II must be at least 15 years old, if not older ?

My association with the then independent Normark finished around 2000. Your rod would therefore be after that date. The 1000 did not come after the 2000 it was a cheaper version that came later but still a very good rod some anglers preferred as it had a bit more 'feel' when playing a fish. May be a better and cheaper barbel rod.

Andrew, very interesting.

What do you know of the Carbotec rods?

I will try and be brief there is a lot to tell and the story should really be told by Geoff Salisbury. Essentially after the fall out at Normark Omri Thomas who had started Normark UK approached Geoff and told him about his new company Carbotec and the new materials he had. Omri gave Geoff a couple of blanks and we all had ago with them. It was obvious from the feel it was special. Geoffs desire was always to produce the best with no compromise. At this time the match fishing scene had become more commercial and carp oriantated and Geoff set out to build the ultimate match rods to catch large and small fish. After several years, several trips to Japan and literally thousands of hours on the bank the Carbotec rods were launched. What made them special is the 'step taper' essentially producing many rods in one blank that will not lock and theoretically because it keeps bending does not run out of power. I use two Harrison Torix o e a 1.7lb TC and I can safely land fish quicker on the Carbotec. If you want a rod for barbel on the float and can find one get a number 3 or 4. So why are the rods no longer available? Airbus bought all the carbon for the A380, Dimaru then closed the factory in Japan that made the blank and moved rod production to China. As I said earlier Geoff only wanted the best and did not want the pain of going through it all again to produce what would be an inferior product.

Just on the theme of rod origin Andrew I understood that 20 years ago Hardy fly rods were made in China by the Suho Corporation. JW Young then owned I think then by masterline, went to them for their new coarse range specc'd by John Wilson and Bruce Vaughan, that is the ones with wooden reel seats. I read now that Free Spirit have their blanks made in Japan and say using FS owned mandrels. Three of my favourite rods are sportex xclusive models ie 2012 onwards, which are also made In Japan. I bought my first merely due having read good reports of their earlier rods and it was silly money so hardly a punt. I sold into Germany 40+ years ago. I knew then that they bought on quality first, price second. I reasoned if good enough for them etc. I made an obscene profit on a hardy I sold so blew it on two xclusive sportex which came via their then agents in the UK. Never regretted it. Use them more than anything else I have which includes 3 peregrines. Quite sturdy but slim as cross weaved, such as Daiwa do too et al. Their avon which I sought, and would still buy at the right price, chucks 90g. Sounds a bit beefier than my harrison avon,1.6 ha!
Did toy with the idea of selling them about a year ago and keeping the peregrines but gone full circle now.

Back