• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Oestrogen

Something many of us have been saying for many years.

But wilm the water companies be forced to do anything by the EA?

Further down the page is an article stating that Metformin ,the diabetic drug also causes changes,never heard that before.

Further down the page is an article stating that Metformin ,the diabetic drug also causes changes,never heard that before.

I think there is such a cocktail of drugs going into our watercourses now Mark, that we are bound to see severe effects in humans before too long, let alone fish. Come to that, perhaps some of today's behavioral and allergy problems are down to this already, who knows?

There are several issues involved here, one of which is the expectations of us lot, health wise. Far too many of us now demand a 'fix-it' pill from our GP's for the slightest thing...and the overworked GP's are only too happy to oblige, just to get rid of us so that they can deal with the next patient.

More and younger kids are being put on the birth pill than ever before, and at the other end, elderly people are living longer because of the drugs they are on. There are also more varieties of drugs available now, some of which may prove to have unknown side effects on people, or fish, given time.

Perhaps the newest and biggest threat comes from the large and rapid increase in the population, and if the latest madness continues, that may be set to get very much worse. As mentioned in the paper in Dave Taylor's link, the simplest first line defense in fighting this issue (even if it is NOT the long term answer) is adequate and rapid dilution with untainted water. Sadly, all of the issues above have played a part in bringing us to the edge in that respect....there already is insufficient fresh water to do that, and it can only get worse. Sad but true.

Cheers, Dave.

Perhaps the newest and biggest threat comes from the large and rapid increase in the population, and if the latest madness continues, that may be set to get very much worse. As mentioned in the paper in Dave Taylor's link, the simplest first line defense in fighting this issue (even if it is NOT the long term answer) is adequate and rapid dilution with untainted water. Sadly, all of the issues above have played a part in bringing us to the edge in that respect....there already is insufficient fresh water to do that, and it can only get worse. Sad but true.

Cheers, Dave.

Not sure how rapid dilution with untainted water can stem the population increase? :)

But seriously, it's a frightening issue. I remember hearing about the effects of oestrogen on trout in rivers just north of London, it must be in the early 90s. Some of the fish had changed gender. I wonder what the realistic chance of filtering out is? Or is that what happens now, and is responsible for over-clean rivers that are devoid of the micro-organisms needed to sustain life?

I have document on this very subject, its a PDF file I will get it changed so I can post it, but this whole thing isnt new, in fact we had a lengthy discussion on this last year on BFW, and those that showed concern were somewhat put down for their convictions and concerns.

Not sure how rapid dilution with untainted water can stem the population increase? :)

But seriously, it's a frightening issue. I remember hearing about the effects of oestrogen on trout in rivers just north of London, it must be in the early 90s. Some of the fish had changed gender. snip QUOTE]

I remember hearing of an equal number of male and female trout -maybe 5 each? being placed below a sewage outflow on some river and after a period of time all but 1 were female!!!

my wife drinks a lot of tap water but she, as she ages, appears to be going the other way!!!

if we had to put up with anything being pumped into our rivers, I would settle for steroids, creating muscle popping hard fighting fish
albeit with small tackle....

the evidence of oestrogen is plain to see
look at any school photo from the 50s or earlier
boys were ugly big eared big nosed large foreheads etc
now look at a pic from the last decade
its hard to tell the difference between boys and girls, boys have got so much more prettier/feminine
plus the average sperm count has plummeted
not that I go round personally counting....

I have document on this very subject, its a PDF file I will get it changed so I can post it, but this whole thing isnt new, in fact we had a lengthy discussion on this last year on BFW, and those that showed concern were somewhat put down for their convictions and concerns.

Strange to hear that, Lawrence. Sometimes, I guess, it's easier to put one's head in the sand and hope the problem will go away.

Back