• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Otters on the Kennet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Longmuir

Hi All,

Not sure if this should be here or on the Kennet site.

I caught the end of a caller to "Fishermans Blues" on Talk Sport this am and the guy had phoned in after seeing otters on the streach he was fishing last night....bad news,very bad news.This sounded like a knowledge chap and he was certain they werent mink.

The following caller went on to discuss the damage an otter can inflict on a water in a relative short space of time,in addition he reminded us of how otters feed ie eating a chunk from around the gills area and discarding the carcuss.The bodies of fish are not often found on the bank as foxes remove any evidence before we seem.

Whatever your views are re otters and the balance of nature,if an adult animal were to kill 2 large barbel a week(probably a conservative estimate) than within a couple of years there will be no worthwile fishing on your venue.

As I said I didnt catch the beginning of the call,Id be interested to know were he was fishing and any other sightings?

Its all very well yawning but look at what they are up to now! Here!

Brilliant Shippo, they have some American river otters in the park in the New Forest, they are huge, twice the size of our Eurasian counterparts..........

Its all very well yawning but look at what they are up to now! Here!

All very well indeed, yawn at your peril:rolleyes:, just think this might be next on your local river:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-NfL7pCUzM
Or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHkMapb9r1s

Actually anglers would probably ignore the impact of the second newcomer, just tackle up accordingly, can just see it BFW replaced by BSFW.:D
(is there a Harrison 100lb line rated blank):)

Seriously though, did otters ever completely die out in the Kennet valley, evidence suggests not.... But hell don't let that stand in the way of a good ol' otter rant thread.:rolleyes:

BFW Otter thread # 956.

Be so good as to call me when it is over.

If this goes past 4 pages, you'll be back.;)

Last edited:
Hi I fish The River Kennet 4 or 5 Days a week, and I am a Member of 5 Clubs with water on the Kennet, and I have yet to see an Otter.

Regards Ray Thorpe

Whatever your views are re otters and the balance of nature,if an adult animal were to kill 2 large barbel a week(probably a conservative estimate) than within a couple of years there will be no worthwile fishing on your venue.

Maybe if we only ate farmed fish then we could return to sea to fish..oh we can't can we because we've over fished and killed most of them!

Our natural action of killing in excess for food is no different maybe even worst as we supposedly have the intelligence to know better.

Maybe if we only ate farmed fish then we could return to sea to fish..oh we can't can we because we've over fished and killed most of them!

Our natural action of killing in excess for food is no different maybe even worst as we supposedly have the intelligence to know better.

OK Adrian...so you have proved once again (should that be needed :rolleyes:) that it is easy to use sarcasm and, quite frankly, pointless comments to mock those who are genuinely concerned about the possible fate of their fishing.

So...tell me fella...exactly how will YOU feel if all the rivers you regularly fish, rivers that perhaps you were bought up on and have come to love....are destroyed as viable fishing venues? I am not saying this will happen....but let's just suppose for a moment that the worst predictions DO come about.

Can you HONESTLY tell me, hand on heart, that you will just shrug and say "Hey ho, such is life"? That you will HONESTLY just walk away smiling, glad that the 'cuddly little otters' are happy with their latest mouthful of little 'delicasies' removed from a hapless barbel? Even if it has just put the final nail into the coffin of your preferred type of fishing for the foreseeable future?

I repeat...I am NOT claiming that this dreadful scenario will necessarily actually come about. I really have no idea to be honest, no actual evidence to prove things to my satisfaction either way. I would simply love to hear an honest answer on this.

As you are obviously one of those who feel it hilarious to mock any angler who dares to put voice to the genuine, passionate and heart felt fears that he feels for his fish...and his hobby, I thought I would ask. You see, I personally find those fears quite natural and understandable, odd as that may seem....

I know it has become popular and highly fashionable to take the stance you have on this vexed subject Adrian...and I have ALWAYS acknowledged there IS a danger involved in being 'stupidly' anti otter....but I really would love an honest answer to this one...silly of me I know :D

Cheers, Dave.

OK Adrian...so you have proved once again (should that be needed :rolleyes:) that it is easy to use sarcasm and, quite frankly, pointless comments to mock those who are genuinely concerned about the possible fate of their fishing. Ooo touchy aren't we. I am more concerned about the mindless slaughter of animals more than my privilege to fish..yes a privilege not a 'right'!

So..tell me fella...exactly how will YOU feel if all the rivers you regularly fish, rivers that perhaps you were bought up on and have come to love....are destroyed as viable fishing venues? I am not saying this will happen....but let's just suppose for a moment that the worst predictions DO come about. I will do what I can to support against pollution, poaching etc but I would never support the needless slaughter of animals. Fishing is a privilege (one I have to pay for) & a luxury but not a necessity! I can live without fishing and still enjoy the countryside & its environment...can't you?

Can you HONESTLY tell me, hand on heart, that you will just shrug and say "Hey ho, such is life"? That you will HONESTLY just walk away smiling, glad that the 'cuddly little otters' are happy with their latest mouthful of little 'delicasies' removed from a hapless barbel? Even if it has just put the final nail into the coffin of your preferred type of fishing for the foreseeable future? Yes on all counts because what right dose anybody have to say the Otters can't/shouldn't be eating FISH? Using your logic(?) then the circle of life would take effect ->Otter eats all fish ->Otters die or move on because of no food -> Fish naturally populate or man interferes and restocks blah blah.

I repeat...I am NOT claiming that this dreadful scenario will necessarily actually come about. I really have no idea to be honest, no actual evidence to prove things to my satisfaction either way. I would simply love to hear an honest answer on this. All my answers are honest

As you are obviously one of those who feel it hilarious to mock any angler who dares to put voice to the genuine, passionate and heart felt fears that he feels for his fish...and his hobby, I thought I would ask. You see, I personally find those fears quite natural and understandable, odd as that may seem.... There NOT YOUR FISH! there the Otters food you only play at catching them for a hobby

I know it has become popular and highly fashionable to take the stance you have on this vexed subject Adrian...and I have ALWAYS acknowledged there IS a danger involved in being 'stupidly' anti otter....but I really would love an honest answer to this one...silly of me I know :DI am far from being part of the fashion I just don't think we have a right to play GOD over a bloody hobby

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, my passion for angling is something clearly different from yours and what would appear to be the majorities opinion on bfw. My previous comments whilst sarcasm are also factual.

To me angling is a recreation where I leave the hustle and bustle of everyday life behind and go into the countryside. My challenge is to relax enjoy the environment as it is and take the challenge of catching a fish as it comes. To see Otters for me is a pleasure like any wildlife. I fail to see or will ever understand the reason why anglers feel they have a right to kill/cull wild natural animals just because they spoil their precious hobby. Otters impact on fish-farms and fisheries could be manage (fences etc) but the cost to the angler or supermarket is not deemed acceptable, so its just easier to brand the Otters as vermin and petition for the rights to kill/cull them along with many other species.

I enjoy wildlife..all wildlife and in my opinion I am going into their natural habitat and trying to catch what is their staple diet!

I probably do not need to explain my feelings or attitude more as I am probably already branded a tree-hugger etc but thats not the case.

As an when the fish are are gone I will move on to something else.. hand on heart!

Everybody is entitle to an opinion, I don't care for yours and you don't care for mine! IMO the whole Otter/Cormorant thing should be left to the action groups and has no place on a public forum. I come here to read and seek advice about fishing end of really.

I doubt that my answers have appeased you, probably only aggravated and antagonised you more..such is life...long live the Otter :D

Regards

Adrian

Unfortunately fishing on many rivers has changed from what was once known..The Otter has returned and some sort of balance will occur, but not particually as some will want..Some rivers will be hit worst than most and some will not..The point i am trying to make is simply this..Like it or lump it, the Otter is here to stay, no matter how hard anglers try to shout..I see Otters quite often some venues i fish and yes it does not exactly fill me with confidence when they swim through my chosen swim..I usually pack up..!!..But theres nothing anyone can do lawfully?..This topic i have indeed vented anger towards in previous posts, but i am now resigned to the fact that there is absulutely no chance of controlling or culling Otter numbers and us anglers must accept this, now matter how hard a pill it is to swallow..
Sadly
Craig..:(

Dave, my passion for angling is something clearly different from yours and what would appear to be the majorities opinion on bfw. My previous comments whilst sarcasm are also factual.

To me angling is a recreation where I leave the hustle and bustle of everyday life behind and go into the countryside. My challenge is to relax enjoy the environment as it is and take the challenge of catching a fish as it comes. To see Otters for me is a pleasure like any wildlife. I fail to see or will ever understand the reason why anglers feel they have a right to kill/cull wild natural animals just because they spoil their precious hobby. Otters impact on fish-farms and fisheries could be manage (fences etc) but the cost to the angler or supermarket is not deemed acceptable, so its just easier to brand the Otters as vermin and petition for the rights to kill/cull them along with many other species.

I enjoy wildlife..all wildlife and in my opinion I am going into their natural habitat and trying to catch what is their staple diet!

I probably do not need to explain my feelings or attitude more as I am probably already branded a tree-hugger etc but thats not the case.

As an when the fish are are gone I will move on to something else.. hand on heart!

Everybody is entitle to an opinion, I don't care for yours and you don't care for mine! IMO the whole Otter/Cormorant thing should be left to the action groups and has no place on a public forum. I come here to read and seek advice about fishing end of really.

I doubt that my answers have appeased you, probably only aggravated and antagonised you more..such is life...long live the Otter :D

Regards

Adrian

Adrian,

I just spent an hour and a half typing an incredibly long, incredibly boring reply to your post...one of my signature post's in fact :D

Fortunately, for the sanity of all concerned, I somehow managed to lose it to the ether when I clicked on send....(don't ask :D)

So, instead of re-writing the whole thing, I will just agree with your decision that we must agree to differ.

The rest of your post is pure C**p by the way :D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Adrian,

I just spent an hour and a half typing an incredibly long, incredibly boring reply to your post...one of my signature post's in fact :D

Fortunately, for the sanity of all concerned, I somehow managed to lose it to the ether when I clicked on send....(don't ask :D)

Cheers, Dave.

There is a God after all

The rest of your post is pure C**p by the way :D:D:D

Ditto

Last edited:
I should leave him alone Dave, otter loving anglers are even more zealous than otter loving non-anglers!!

I should leave him alone Dave, otter loving anglers are even more zealous than otter loving non-anglers!!

:D:D

How right you are Alex. I wouldn't mind if there was any credible, accurate substance or rational, well thought out and valid point to any of it.

Hey ho...live and let live I say :D

Cheers, Dave.

So...tell me fella...exactly how will YOU feel if all the rivers you regularly fish, rivers that perhaps you were bought up on and have come to love....are destroyed as viable fishing venues? I am not saying this will happen....but let's just suppose for a moment that the worst predictions DO come about.
I sometimes despair about the wise-cracks and sad humour that associates Otter threads. The reason I highlight Dave's post is what happened to the river that runs to the east of the county town on whose western outskirts I live.

It is not a well-known (Barbel or anything else) river (The Hull - I cohold the Barbel River record). Two years ago the Seals followed the Sea-Trout upstream from the Humber (as they do every year). This time, however, they stayed and for the following season and half remained and harvested the Barbel (one fish estimated above the 12lb 8oz river record was seen to be killed, quarter eaten and discarded), and anything else - several near thirty pound Pike have not been caught since, I have photos of them surfacing with near-2lb Roach and large Bream. End result (two years on) is many no longer fish as the 20 minute travel is pointless after multiple blanks, follow-on is the local tackle shop has closed as their custiomer base has disappeared.

Now you cannot compare the damage what Otters do with Seals (tho..many on or left from the Yorkshire Derwent, where they were re-introduced in the 1990s may care to differ). But whatever you point of view on how "nice" nature is in its various and diverse nature, a lack of thought in these postings is plainly indicative of shallow thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back