• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ousemeisters Barbel Challenge 2015 -10th Anniversary

Just went out to sort my gear ready for Saturday and found it just as I put it away after last year's Challenge, except...

... Mr Mouse has been nesting in my tackle bag and taken all the foam out of the lining into a bait box (chewed through the lid) to make a nest.

So, looks like I'll be buying a new bag tomorrow. Oh, and I just bought my rod license, so it's going to be an expensive day's fishing :)

R.

Great day out yesterday on mother Ouse . The sun shone , the fish fed and a good time was had by all . Greg got of to a flying start with a small 2lb barbel within an hour of kick off , Mark was in to the roach and dace , Phillip was giving the bleak a battering and Mike was doing a sterling job avoiding the attention of the nosey cows . A flurry of texts from Robin , advised of a snag up and a hook pull, both good fish . As the afternoon wore on things went quiet , however at 5pm my Avon nodded and a barbel was on , nice little fish at 4.10 putting a healthy bend in the cane . From there nothing of any note for me . De brief in the Black Horse over some good food and beer revealed that Robin had caught a gudgeon on a lump of spam on a size 6 hook , so the bottle of Jack went to Mr Bowes . Despite sustained effort and much worm drowning the enigmatic Tommy Ruffe eluded us all , so the trophy goes back in to the cupboard for yet another year . Thanks to the select few who turned up , the craic was good and fun was had by all . As always appreciation to Newton AC for letting us fish there lovely stretch , here's to next year .

Two barbel, things are looking up! Did you win your own prize then Mike? :)

Hoping to make it next year.

As usual, a top day out. As usual, I wished it hadn't been a year since the last time I went fishing. :(

Thanks to Mike for organising and providing the prizes.

Can I suggest we adjourn to The Mended Drum in Huby next year :D

R.

Thanks Mike for organising this again. It's an enjoyable day and interesting to see how many barbel can get caught in a day.
My barbel came on my second cast within a minute and after that I didn't get any interest, except for bleak which I gave up on after about a dozen in succession including some on a size 12 and red worms used.

The biggest shock of the day was Mike revealing he was using a Shimano reel on a cane rod, although with our hurried meal people hardly had chance for it to sink in!

I was hoping to get out and do a bit of fishing today too, but instead "WE" are going to choose wallpaper and carpet. What a difference a week makes. :mad:

Back