• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

painting rod tips

Surely not the original question. Painting rod tips is bob gills territory etc. Instead of alternative ideas on this promotion of the original post would be better surely? ?

Ok then, what about the artificial snow that comes in a spray can :) Non permanent/easily removed, but good enough when a white rod end is required. :) Available in all shops at the moment. :)

Or something more permanent, " Plasti-kote " ? Wouldn,t that have some flexibility ??? :)

Spot on, why do people need to pait the tips white? Enterprise night sight holder, containing a drennan float insert during the day, which is switched over to an isotope at dusk;)

For those of us Luddites who sometimes use cane rods problem with the isotope holders is that they aren't big enough to fit over many cane rod tips . I have tried the biggest ones that enterprise do , they will fit on an avon rod tip [ just] but nothing beefier like a Mark 1V carp or similar . White PTFE / plumbers tape works ok though

Last edited:
With no apologies, when fishing I almost always hold the rod. As nearly all,of my rods are made of cane, the exception being a Hexagraph,I feel that the rods need no embellishment. I am sure that Edward Barder would concur.

Being of the same vintage as Chris Yates and using similar methods there is nothing I can usefully add.

As ever,

Hugo

Hugo my dear old thing . Don't you ever nod off when fishing ? I would be petrified of barbus maximus pulling my rod out of my hands whilst drowsing .I suppose Bunty or nurse would be on hand to keep an eye on proceedings so that would minimise risk :D

To the question in hand [ha] .At times rod in hand combined with holding the line between your fingers is very effective , however this can be tiring over a prolonged period that's why some sort of light on the rod tip can be useful . Having said that staring at a rod tip in the twilight or dark can lead to your eyes going a bit squiffy , eyestrain is not nice , sometimes having the betalight on the rod tip can even make it worse .

:rolleyes: Tangles ???

That was my thoughts, I do get the occasional wrap around with the drennan isotope placed near the tip guide. I purchased a second hand bespoke torrix this week by Bob @ Fosters, the whipped on rubber holder was below the second last guide. I assume this set up alleviates the dreaded tangle when one is into the hour after dusk:-*

A mate of mine recommended using PTFE but he emailed me last week to say he reckoned that the line slapping against the tape was causing the tape to fray and that in turn was fraying the line and as a result he had taken it off. Have you noticed any problems?

That must be some weird PTFE tape that frays line , what's your pal using as line spider silk ?:)

Neil. How does the line 'slap' against the tape. I don't get it? You (one) casts out, you tighten a little and then sit and wait perhaps for 3/4hr +. If the tape is wrapped tightly round the tip when does all the slapping take place?

Not trying to be clever. just curious, come to think of it, it's not actually at all interesting and I'm wondering why I'm writing this drivel. Couldn't care less. Don't bother answering or asking your mate, it would be totally pointless.

Cheers

Nick

Then on the other hand (thinking that the smaller details are after all all that really matter in life) the whole universe's axis might be poised on the the answer to the question. Does plumbers tape fray line? If so which lines? by how much? by which methods? and in what circumstances?.

I have never painted my tips, TIPS! I have just applied a coat of Tipex. A matt finish is better than a gloss finish for sighting. Also, you can clean off and reapply as often as you need.

Then on the other hand (thinking that the smaller details are after all all that really matter in life) the whole universe's axis might be poised on the the answer to the question. Does plumbers tape fray line? If so which lines? by how much? by which methods? and in what circumstances?.

Oh Gawd...not a 'What PTFE tape' thread in the offing :D

Cheers, Dave.

Hugo my dear old thing . Don't you ever nod off when fishing ? I would be petrified of barbus maximus pulling my rod out of my hands whilst drowsing .I suppose Bunty or nurse would be on hand to keep an eye on proceedings so that would minimise risk :D

To the question in hand [ha] .At times rod in hand combined with holding the line between your fingers is very effective , however this can be tiring over a prolonged period that's why some sort of light on the rod tip can be useful . Having said that staring at a rod tip in the twilight or dark can lead to your eyes going a bit squiffy , eyestrain is not nice , sometimes having the betalight on the rod tip can even make it worse .

Mike, m.d.o.t.,

I do often nod off but the music of the Speedia brings me back to consciousness, or at least as close as I can get to it!

;)

AS ever,

Hugo

Back