• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

penn slammer liveliner cheap

I thought they were 2 for £122 John from the OP? Also i suppose what is cheap to one person isn't to another...

Oh another point, rather oddly, the live liners have no back wind...
with a clutch like they have you do not need to back wind nearly as good as my 3500b:D

I agree Nick, but I felt it was worth pointing out. I know one or two strange characters who backwind just because Hayes and Fairbrass do it....

People set in old ways im afraid. I used to with the old Shakespeare omni half bails. But why do it after all the technology ans craftsmanship has gone into it.

Heard quite a bit about the quality on Penn and ABU reels dipping when Pure Fishing shipped manufacture out to the far east. Any one else heard or had experience of this?

it will be interesting what happens to Greys, Chub & Hardy gear.

I've heard that greys and chub will be no more. Its just the hardy name they wanted

Fantastic reels, as Sam mentioned now discontinued but the Slammer Drag system lives on in their new reels. When I wrote the review for BFW a good few years ago now, they were retailing at around £75-80 new which made them cheaper than the Shimano's of equivalent spec. The fact they were built for saltwater big game fishing suggests a lot with regards to their cranking power and clutch performance. Small river users will appreciate the clutch but the reel comes into it's own on bigger rivers where big feeders and heavy leads are used. The ease at which they crank 'em in is remarkable!

Any comments on the Liveliner mechanism? My 4000 Shimano allows me to pretty much lock the baitrunner almost to a standstill....the Liveliners I handled today displayed very little tensioning of the system !!?

Fantastic reels, as Sam mentioned now discontinued but the Slammer Drag system lives on in their new reels. When I wrote the review for BFW a good few years ago now, they were retailing at around £75-80 new which made them cheaper than the Shimano's of equivalent spec. The fact they were built for saltwater big game fishing suggests a lot with regards to their cranking power and clutch performance. Small river users will appreciate the clutch but the reel comes into it's own on bigger rivers where big feeders and heavy leads are used. The ease at which they crank 'em in is remarkable!

I bought one on the strength of that article Andrew, and the do seem bullet proof, although I will admit to being a compulsive back winder the clutch on these reels fill you with confidence.
Bill my 460L locks down almost to a standstill, (just had a play!) But a bit unsure as to why you might need this.:confused:

Hi Neil,
I had an unusual happening on the Trent one night when one of my alarms bleeped all night leading me to think it was on the blink. It wasn't 'till the morning that I noticed the spool revolving very very slowly. A tiny turn of the rear drag solved my problem !!! Slow on the uptake or what ? :eek: I agree that it's not necessary to have it dead tight but have my doubts whether the two reels I've seen today would not give line in a flood flow!! Only time will tell !!! :rolleyes:

I agree Nick, but I felt it was worth pointing out. I know one or two strange characters who backwind just because Hayes and Fairbrass do it....

Sam,

Is there anything Nick says that you don't agree with? Still waiting for you to post pictures of large lower 7ern Barbel..............

Steve

That's rubbish Sam, people backwind because they perhaps like to feel a little more in control, and those that do are unlikely to be influenced by anyone especially those you mentioned.

does anyone no where I can get penn slammers serviced ?

Mark I googled it!!! :rolleyes:And would you believe I found a service agent agent just up the road from me in Pershore Worcs. He is Mick Simons and his tel no is 01386 552949, I spoke with him, and he is a Barbel angler too, nice guy, so give him a ring, he has a website which I will try and post up later.

Sam,

Is there anything Nick says that you don't agree with? Still waiting for you to post pictures of large lower 7ern Barbel..............

Steve

I'm sure there is, but I think agreeing with two or three posts is hardly worthy of that comment Steve? As far as whether Nick wants to post up pictures of his fish, that's really nothing to do with me..... You seem like a s*** stirrer to be honest Steve, so it ain't gonna work :)

That's rubbish Sam, people backwind because they perhaps like to feel a little more in control, and those that do are unlikely to be influenced by anyone especially those you mentioned.

No it's not Neil. These lads (about my age I guess) admit it's because it's what Matt did/does on Total Fishing etc. How you can say that statement's rubbish ,when you don't even know who I'm talking about, has gone over my head to be honest :confused: You're just another s*** stirrer too.

I'm sure there is, but I think agreeing with two or three posts is hardly worthy of that comment Steve? As far as whether Nick wants to post up pictures of his fish, that's really nothing to do with me..... You seem like a s*** stirrer to be honest Steve, so it ain't gonna work :)

Sam,

Not a s**t stirrer.............but I do have a good nose for Bulls**t.

Steve

I've always played fish off the clutch as a matter of habit, however a couple of years ago when learning the light-line maggot feeder technique for big chub on the Stour, I very quickly realised that back-winding was a much safer way of playing fish on light-lines. I was told as much by the angler that was teaching me the technique, however it took a couple of lost fish for the penny to drop.
As a general rule, these days if I'm fishing with 4lb line or below I always back-wind.

Joe,

Spot on. Not many matchmen fishing "fine and far off" would ever dream of using a clutch as backwinding gives a far more sensitive reaction to the fish. However when the line breaking strain gets into double figures with more margin for error then a good clutch will work just fine.

Personally I tend to use a front drag clutch set a little on the slack side and brake the spool with a cupped hand when the fish is running hard. Not suggesting anyone else should do this; it just feels right to me,

Steve

Back