• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Proposed Powick weir removal

Jeff. You often make me laugh.

I have nominated you for BFW grump of the year.:D

Graham. My original post was for concern about Laurences initial disregard for the twait shad. He then came on and admitted he disregarded the plight of species that is on the brink of extinction. I rather sarcastically made fun. There is a real issue here but I think that having a single species myopic mindset about it is wrong.
Then Neil from tucksbury had a dig, which I parried with a glib remark. I'm no way against this, but feel it could be represented better.

On a lighter note there may be a space on out estate lake if you're interested. As you are now a local.

Of course Jeff. However I would be very worried about joining a club that would have me as a member.

Mind you. Having Bens beautiful partner on the bank would be a real incentive.:D

I would say I have the deepest respect for Lawrence and his work and passion for his favourite species, besides which the Wye is stuffed full of shad.

Its great to have the support of the Barbel Society in the shape Chris Childs (new secretary) and Steve Pope in opposing the removal of Powick weir and I thank them for that....

Having followed this thread , and trying to be pragmatic ,any work on the weir would certainly prove very disruptive for the resident otters , another reason to add to the long list of why this weir should be left alone . Might be worth a mention at the meeting . A shattered riverine environment is not just going to harm the fish , there are the birds , the water voles , , insects , crustacea etc . If this was brought to public attention it might have a positive effect

We have said all that Mike, but unfortunately the EA and SRT see the dramatic effects on the up and downstream stretches of the weir as being collateral damage for what they want to do, in fairness to them they have been totally open in confirming that it will take 15 years for any normality to be seen after the weirs removal, and the first 10 years will see river above the weir change dramatically from water loss (1.7mtrs to .500 mtrs at best), bank erosion, tree loss and a whole environment change to a river that will possibly dry out in certain areas in the summer and be a raging torrent in the winter.......

Seems a hard one to sell from their perspective . A decade or more of severe whole environment damage to benefit a single migratory species which is already managing to migrate ok as things stand , hmm .... A hidden agenda me thinks, possibly driven by the welfare of certain other spotty silvery fish and the usually well heeled / well connected people that fish for them or am I just being paranoid ?

They have openly admitted this whole thing re:the Shad is just a vehicle to get many millions of pounds for other works, the donations will come from the EU, the Lottery fund, canals and river trust and Natrual England, the Shad spawn in the stretch below the weir as they have done for 100's of years, this has been proven by Bournemouth University, however ironically if the weir is removed it could alter the demographics of the river that much so that the Shad wont Spawn in the Teme because of the silt and mud that the weir holds back and filters will just wash down and destroy coarse fish and Shad spawning sites on a perpetual basis, you only have to see how the Wards Angling Club stretch was effected when the much smaller weir was removed just above Bransford in the mid 90's, it caused tree loss, bank erosion and a river that is virtually unfishable in the winter due to bank erosion etc.so much so they had to give up some of their water because it became unfishable because of reduction of water in the summer and rushing through in the winter.

I received this statement from the Barbel Society (BS) outlining their position on the potential removing of Powick weir, as you know the BS have a significant stretch of water above the weir, a very beautiful stretch of the Teme it is, so its highly likely they stand to lose more than most if the weir is destroyed as they have invested a lot of money in creating what can only be described as the perfect "idyll", so we can share their concern as they share ours, therefore I am pleased to say that the BS (see below) have joined us in rejecting the weirs removal on the information so far put forward, and have demanded more detail from the Severn Rivers Trust and EA, re cause and effect scenarios, environmental impact study's, long term effects on the lower part of the river Teme etc. all of which have not been supplied by the EA or SRT, as I said earlier their so called efforts in communicating forming a broad partnership on this and other projects can only be described as lamentable.
But I wish to offer our thanks to the Barbel Society and its committee for supporting us in our objections to the weirs removal, we are much stronger with the BS on side as they are with us and I am sure we all will acknowledge this.

Barbel Society announcement:
Dear Lawrence,
The Barbel Society believe, in very much the same way as the Angling Trust, that several key questions still need to be answered in much greater detail by the EA with regards to this proposal to remove Powick Weir. While we understand the thought process behind enhancing fish passage on the Teme, we think current information being provided is insufficient to answer serious concerns about the removal of the weir. There are key issues regarding the projected reduction in water level and also the potential increase in velocity that may impact on fisheries upstream of the weir – The Barbel Society has a particular interest at Bransford where we have invested much time and money. There is also a question of bank erosion and silt removal. We want to see more detailed modelling to show the physical impacts on the fishery over the time scales discussed at the recent meetings. Only once these questions are answered to our complete satisfaction can we make a better informed decision on the proposal, until then we are against the removal of the weir and will support anglers and local clubs by actively seeking these answers from the EA.

Likewise Lawrence.
You should be very proud of the efforts and time you personally have devoted to the cause.

The fact that as part of your commitment you have got the BS onside is excellent news.

Back