• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rig shark tip lights.

Ended up ordering some. Impressions of them without actually using them in a fishing situation are they are extremely bright. Also I’m a bit worried they are too sensitive. Maybe when fishing and cast out with a bit of tension on the line they might be ok but I recon any wind will set them off constantly. Also wondering if anyone has tested them yet on a lake do they keep flashing while you’re playing a fish cause I can see that getting annoying. I think Gerry was it saying he was going to black shrink tube all but the tip has the right idea

Ended up ordering some. Impressions of them without actually using them in a fishing situation are they are extremely bright. Also I’m a bit worried they are too sensitive. Maybe when fishing and cast out with a bit of tension on the line they might be ok but I recon any wind will set them off constantly. Also wondering if anyone has tested them yet on a lake do they keep flashing while you’re playing a fish cause I can see that getting annoying. I think Gerry was it saying he was going to black shrink tube all but the tip has the right idea
yes I am going to shrink wrap them apart from the tip

but I cant agree about them being too sensitive ? in my tests so far I found it needs a real sudden definite sharp bite type pull to set them off ?? Obviously not had any chance of using them in an actual fishing situation but I have put one on my rod and tried to similate fishing conditions and no question I could not set mine off without a proper sharp tug ?

yes I am going to shrink wrap them apart from the tip

but I cant agree about them being too sensitive ? in my tests so far I found it needs a real sudden definite sharp bite type pull to set them off ?? Obviously not had any chance of using them in an actual fishing situation but I have put one on my rod and tried to similate fishing conditions and no question I could not set mine off without a proper sharp tug ?
Like I say Iv not tested them on my rod yet but when I hold it in my hand I only have to move it a couple of millimetres and it flashes

Like I say Iv not tested them on my rod yet but when I hold it in my hand I only have to move it a couple of millimetres and it flashes
Iv only done the same with mine,but like gerry said mine seem to need a definite sharp movement to activate,going tontry them on a feeder rod soon when I get chance.

Iv only done the same with mine,but like gerry said mine seem to need a definite sharp movement to activate,going tontry them on a feeder rod soon when I get chance.
When I was looking at some reviews of them some people were saying they were too sensitive and others were saying they were fine. I wonder if it’s luck of the draw what you get and Iv ended up with the sensitive ones lol

When I was looking at some reviews of them some people were saying they were too sensitive and others were saying they were fine. I wonder if it’s luck of the draw what you get and Iv ended up with the sensitive ones lol
You’ll be sending flights off course John with them things pointing at the sky flashing red n green 🤣

What’s wrong with a good ol fashioned isotope 🤷🏻

You’ll be sending flights off course John with them things pointing at the sky flashing red n green 🤣

Nothing lol.
I brought them more out of curiosity than anything. I’m going to give them a go as Iv brought them but if they’re anything like as sensitive on the rod as they are in my hand they will be coming straight off.

m

? mine wont point up they will point down :p the same as My Mk4 tip lights they will replace and after shrink wrapping the light will be the same size too about size of a small LED
but lovely and bright and IMHO far better than my isotope`s :cool:

I’m with you rich can’t beat a good old isotope but it sounds like some modifications being done so may turn out alright…. But those other domed ones on this thread would be like having R2D2 attached to the end of your rod 😁😁

Last edited:
I’m with you rich can’t beat a good old isotope but it sounds like some modifications being done so may turn out alright…. But those other domed ones on this thread would be like having R2D2 attached to the end of your rod 😁😁

Terry, i thought exactly the same, 🤣 but they work fantastic, the dome can be turned to adjust the sensitivity, i use them on my beachcaster fishing the River Mersey, which has a much stronger flow than any inland river. The're the dogs dangly bits. 😁
👍

I can see the appeal but it’s not for me. I like very discreet tip illumination and the isotope offers exactly what I want. Just bright enough for me to recognize a bite in pitch black and no more. It’s also very small ,sleek and very unnoticeable on the rod.

I’m a forgetful sod when it comes to batteries and charging etc. I’ve done it loads of times with my head torch and taken it out on its last dregs.
It’s almost certainly going to happen the same with tip lamps.
I don’t use alarms either so working sight tips are absolutely essential to me.

Product looks good though. I like the clip. There’s been some thought around that for sure

Echoes my initial nervousness - they also look mahoosive?

Prefer the size of the breakaway tackle ones - does anyone know how they attach though / can you band them on flat to the blank?

Echoes my initial nervousness - they also look mahoosive?

Prefer the size of the breakaway tackle ones - does anyone know how they attach though / can you band them on flat to the blank?
Breakaway tackle ones ? I use Drennan isotope holders or enterprise tackle night light holders work a treat no tangles etc

i use the rig shark lights but ordered mine from aliexpress and only paid about £3 each and bout a load of batterries they are great and you can see them for miles , ok for the trent or similar but i would not use them on a clear river close in as they are that bright

Just been having a play with mine on my 1.75 korum rods,the fit and look fine not to big or intrusive at all.Lit them up and from my garden tests it seems mine ned a sharp movement to change colour ,I tried slow movements on the rod tip like you get from the flow and they didn't change colour,only when I gave a sharp proper twitch they activated,I can see them bring quite good,just like in other posy a bit of shrink wrap to dull them down and they will be good 👍

On ebay

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230411_122259_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230411_122259_Gallery.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 117
Back