• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Records 2004 and 2014

Thanks to Pete Reading for the update . I think this recording of records / claims process is great and thanks to those who give their time to keeping and maintaining it . Anthony , there are an awful lot of rumours about unclaimed big fish ,frankly I am inclined to only believe whats in the bottom of my landing net or what trusted anglers tell me . I can see why people don't claim a record , but at the same time a river record is something to aim at during the inevitable contemplative hours of blanking .I think records are important if only as historical interest . I am still aiming at the Yorkshire Ouse record , one day I will top Mr Parsons fine specimen , here's hoping anyway :)

Query from Dan Birkett

No I don't Dan and perhaps 'rather worrying' was the worng phrase to use. Unfortunately I don't move in the right circles to have seen photographs of bigger fish (with one exception) but am aware of others. As someone who only started barbel fishing after 2007, I wonder if it was around this time that anglers became reticent about publicising their catches (no connection of course) as there was a sudden interest in this branch of the sport. It's just a shame that the data being passed on to the University Departments as mentioned above is slightly misleading as a consequence.

As regards the Nidd Mike, there are indeed an awful number of otters present on the stretches I fish, but I did manage my first Nidd double last year which was a personal milestone. This year I'll be trying for another. ;)

Not having a dig Tony - sorry

PM for ya

Does the Association of Barbel Fishers have a list as well , does the ABF still exist ? I would tend to refer to the BFW list as it's the easiest to access and seems to be regularly updated . Who currently holds the old barbel records documentation ? I seem to recall that these were very exhaustive records put together by a very dedicated chap [ Brian? ] , perhaps whoever holds them should be recognised as the '' official '' list ? and arbiter of records ,it would be nice to have a definitive record which all barbel enthusiasts could refer to

Mike - I seem to remember the chap's name was/is Brian Dowling.

And further thanks to Bobby, Pete and Andy for the clarification. I think we all assume bigger fish exist than the biggest claimed publicly, so no surprises there.

The ABF does indeed still exist (I think someone asked?). :)

Back